Is a Physics with Calculus Class Right for Me as a First-Semester Freshman?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Helical
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 4K views
Helical
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Is it advisable to take a physics with calculus class along with Calc I (first semester, freshmen year) if I've never taken a calculus class before? Or should I take Calc I first semester and hold off on physics with calculus?

I should note that, I'm fairly good at math and very interested in physics. Pre-Calc stuff is really easy for me but I'm not sure if that means anything for a university level Calc I class.

Any advise is welcomed, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm this can go both ways, but I think it might be best to be introduced to calculus first, then calc based physics. It'll really suck when you start to work with "work" and you haven't even learned how to integrate yet.
 
there's no calc in calc based physics. take em both
 
ice109 said:
there's no calc in calc based physics. take em both

Yea, maybe not in yours, but there was in mine. In fact, I had to solve a differential equation on my test. If that isn't calculus, I'm not sure what is.
 
I assume you're doing Mechanics based physics first, not E and M else I'd strongly advise to wait till you have higher math knowledge. You probably can do it first semester, infact you might be able to draw connections to what you're doing in physics.

I passed out of mechanics and calc 1 with AP, so I can't really comment on that, but I had no problem doing the AP versions together. That said AP is a lot easier than college.
 
dashkin111 said:
I assume you're doing Mechanics based physics first, not E and M else I'd strongly advise to wait till you have higher math knowledge. You probably can do it first semester, infact you might be able to draw connections to what you're doing in physics.

I passed out of mechanics and calc 1 with AP, so I can't really comment on that, but I had no problem doing the AP versions together. That said AP is a lot easier than college.


E-mail the professor and tell him/her exactly what you told us. He/she will have had plenty of experience with plenty of students of varying backgrounds in math. Find out what the prerequisite is (or Co-requisite).

Casey
 
PowerIso said:
Yea, maybe not in yours, but there was in mine. In fact, I had to solve a differential equation on my test. If that isn't calculus, I'm not sure what is.

where do you go to school?
 
Saladsamurai said:
E-mail the professor and tell him/her exactly what you told us. He/she will have had plenty of experience with plenty of students of varying backgrounds in math. Find out what the prerequisite is (or Co-requisite).

Casey


Why did you quote me? :confused:

But yes, prereq's/coreqs are there for a reason
 
My calc based physics didn't have any physics either, but taking Calc 1 at least concurrently was required.
 
My physics had calc in it, and they had it set up you take physics: mechanics w/ calc 1, had no issues.
 
dashkin111 said:
Why did you quote me? :confused:

But yes, prereq's/coreqs are there for a reason

Because I hate you.

Casey
 
ice109 said:
where do you go to school?

My Freshman year, I went to Rice.

Anyway, I think it's important to talk to your professors about how much calculus is experienced in the introduction course. It appears that some require you to know it fairly well, while others allow you to slide by the crack. If your physics class is anything like mine, it'll be tough, because my intro physics class can had a lot of Calculus, but it appears some departments may reduce the calculus encountered.
 
Last edited:
Calc I was a requisite for my Physics I class in my school. You can take Physics along with Calc I but, maybe in some things you will get stucked. I am telling you this because I have a friend that took Physics I along with Calc I and he fail the Physics class because he didn´t know how to integrate some formulas (kinematics, work, Potential energy, etc). Talk with your professor so he can give you an advice.
 
Calc I was a requisite for my Physics I class in my school. You can take Physics along with Calc I but, maybe in some things you will get stucked. I am telling you this because I have a friend that took Physics I along with Calc I and he fail the Physics class because he didn´t know how to integrate some formulas (kinematics, work, Potential energy, etc). Talk with your professor so he can give you an advice.