Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a Real funcion with a Limit Bounded?

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    Hi, just a quick question.

Let f be real function s.t. the limit of f as x approaches a equals L.

Is f bounded?
    i.e. is it sufficient to assume a function is bounded if it has a limit.

Thanks to all who may reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Yes it is. Use the definition of limit and choose your epsilon to be a certain constant (say 1). Then work your magic.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Rather, it is bounded on some open set containing a.

It might go off to infinity elsewhere; you just know that it doesn't go off to infinity right at that point.

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4

gb7nash

Homework Helper

There's not enough information to tell. The only x value that you can say f is bounded is x = a. For every other x value, we have no idea if there exists an x asymptote. Like the previous poster suggested, we only know that it's bounded on some open interval containing a.

6. Oct 2, 2011 #5
    Just take f(x) = x. The limit of f as x -> a is defined and finite for every a, but f is not bounded.

7. Oct 2, 2011 #6

gb7nash

Homework Helper

I noticed a mistake in my previous post. f(x) isn't guaranteed to even exist for x = a. However, f(x) is still bounded in some neighborhood of x = a, since the limit exists there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook