Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a Subway footlong worth the money?

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    I'm a college student, and lately I've been buying nothing but Subway footlongs at my school for around $7 - $8 per day.

Is this really cost efficient for the amount of calories/nutrients I get?

If not then what could I possibly cook or buy to save money? I would like to continue eating healthy though, so eating ramen noodles might not be a good idea, since I need protein etc...

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It would be more cost effective to go to the market, buy your supplies and make your own meals. There is no easy fast and cheap method of eating healthy and well but going to the market is a definite step in the right direction.

4. Sep 21, 2016 #3
    Great thanks! I also think that's a good idea.

5. Sep 21, 2016 #4
    I'm not sure this is true because places like Subway buy their supplies in bulk at much cheaper prices than a consumer can get them at the market. After Subway adds their markup, it could well be that the consumer is paying pretty much the same price for the same amount of "calories and nutrients."

I do not know this for a fact, but if a person kept close track of what they were spending to eat home made Subway type meals, they could determine if it was true.

6. Sep 21, 2016 #5
    Subway is bottom feeder sandwiches. There are so many better sub options. Really shocked how many Subways there are and how many people eat there.

7. Sep 21, 2016 #6

Evo

Do you have a Walmart near you? They have fantastic sub sandwiches 2-3 times larger than Subway (I hate Subway, they are so stingy) for around $5. If not try Jimmy John's, twice the amount of meat and cheese than Subway. and they will pile on the extra lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers for free, enough to make a side salad, order the extra free vinaigrette if you're going to make a salad.

8. Sep 21, 2016 #7
    For a national chain, JJ's is pretty good. One thing I don't get about Subway is how terrible their bread is. That is what makes a great sub. Subway bread is nearly almost always dry. If you want it toasted then it's basically a huge cracker. Yuck.

9. Sep 21, 2016 #8
    It's a technological miracle: they have figured out how to incorporate waste sawdust so that it's just below the threshold of perception. All you're left with is the feeling something is not right.

10. Sep 21, 2016 #9

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as you don't go to places with waiters where you must leave a tip padding the total by some 15%, I agree, it seems like a close call. Electricity at industrial rates, food bought in bulk, a method that shortens production, etc.. And what about food at home that goes bad?

11. Sep 21, 2016 #10
    The cost of having a worker there make the sandwich for you might still make it more expensive, although I'm still not sure.

12. Sep 21, 2016 #11
    Right.

Personally I alternate, but I have to say most of what I buy at the market is fresh fruit, which I eat a lot of, because I love it, and also think it off sets the junk stuff I also eat.

13. Sep 21, 2016 #12

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have to admit that I like Subway, but find them a bit pricey for what they deliver. If I were still a student I would certainly follow the advice from post #2. Their cookies are quite delicious, but their coffee is way too weak, as usual. Well, at least one does not have to become intimate with the person behind the counter in order to obtain a cup.

14. Sep 21, 2016 #13

jtbell

Think of it as portion control, if you're trying to lose weight. :biggrin:

15. Sep 21, 2016 #14

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like Subway's iced tea and their cookies. I like that they'd let you substitute apple slices for chips in a combo. I find their bread and ingredients edible but low quality.

16. Sep 21, 2016 #15
    I still think nothing can beat a bag of rice, oats, and chicken breast cost wise.

17. Sep 21, 2016 #16
    That's fine if you are not the worst cook in the world, as I am.

18. Sep 21, 2016 #17

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Uniformity" of franchises for "Subway" and other "small" chains compared to McD's is non-existent --- (McD's is uniformly marginal --- except for the fries) --- you've got to develop a "throw away test meal" for each when moving from one area to another, or even between neighborhoods.

19. Sep 21, 2016 #18
    Trust me I am the worst cook in the world, the one who is too lazy to cook! :D

20. Sep 21, 2016 #19

jedishrfu

My favorite was Quiznos hot sandwiches.

You could combine resources with other students and buy larger portions for cheaper prices so you can get the variety you want. You could even share recipes for meals with other students and even make a game of it.

21. Sep 22, 2016 #20
    Exactly. This is what I recommend, too. Learn to cook simple meals. They will probably cost you less then subway. It's not good for you to eat the same thing every day.
    I really don't know what the prices in the US are, but for 8€, you can definitely buy rice or potatoes, chicken or pork meat and veggies for a decent meal.
    There are tons of recipes for pasta that are more nutritious then ramen and simple and cheap to prepare.
    If you don't want to cook, you can have a bun with yoghurt, kefír or cottage cheese. Scrambled eggs. Or at least buy various kinds of frozen food, even when it's not very nutritious or tasty, but at least you will get some variety.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted