1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is an electron a type of electromagnetic wave?

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    In certain circumstances, when an electron collides with an anti-electron, the interaction produces two gamma photons.

The reverse process would be a gamma photon colliding with a gamma photon, such that the interaction produces an electron and anti-electron.

A gamma photon is a high energy electromagnetic transverse wave travelling at the speed-of-light.

The electron and anti-electron produced have a wave nature also, but it is not as the electromagnetic transverse wave of the photon travelling at the speed-of-light. The electron and anti-electron also have angular momentum. (An anti-electron similar but with asymmetries such as angular momentum to maintain its conservation.)

Is an electron be a form of electromagnetic wave that travels in some sort of rotational manner instead of the transverse manner that a photon travels in?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct although there is nothing special about an electron - it's just the lightest common elementary particle. Higher energy photons could make other particle pairs.

Everything has a wave like nature. Golf balls have a wavelength which is why they are sometimes diffficult to localise.

No, all particles with a momentum have wavelike properties - it is not unique to photons.
    This doesn't mean everything is a photon.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  4. Jan 2, 2009 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

So that's why I'm such a lousy putter! The ball diffracts around the hole! :eek:

5. Jan 3, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess so, I have the same problem

6. Jan 3, 2009 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried doing the 2 hole experiment?:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?