Is 'Avengers: Infinity War' worth the hype?

• Thread starter Auto-Didact
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the film is about the battle between Thanos, a powerful alien who wants to collect all the Infinity Stones to gain omnipotence, and the Avengers, a team of super heroes led by Tony Stark. The Stones are objects that have the power to grant great abilities to their holders, and Thanos wants to use them to rule the universe. The film is very large and contains a lot of action, and is not suitable for beginners who have not seen previous Marvel movies. If you have seen at least some of the other films in the series, you will enjoy the movie more.
By the way. Don't they need to charge the Infinity Stones.. do they have unlimited power source?

Does Thanos have any cousins or part of any hierarchy or political group?

I wondered this when I reviewed more about the occult myth about the Rod of Initiation.. I found out it was charged from the dark matter locale in Sirius. The Solar Logos are like Thanos or even Galactus... quoting from Initiation: Human and Solar:

"3. Planetary, used by a Planetary Logos for initiatory purposes, and for the third, fourth, and fifth major initiations, with the two higher. At the planetary initiation the Rod of Power, wielded by the solar Logos, is charged with pure electrical force from Sirius, and was received by our Logos during the secondary period of creation, from the hands of that great Entity Who is the presiding Lord of the Lords of Karma. He is the repository of the law during manifestation, and He it is Who is the representative in the solar system of that greater Brotherhood on Sirius Whose Lodges are found functioning as the occult Hierarchies in the different planets. Again, He it is Who, with the solar Logos to assist Him, invests the various Initiators with power, gives to Them that word in secret which enables Them to draw down the pure electric force with which Their rods of office must be charged, and commits to Their keeping the peculiar secret of Their particular planetary scheme."

Physics news on Phys.org
I read about Thanos childhood and teenage years in Titan. He had really murdered a lot of people out of pure evil. Why didn't the movie depict a more menacing figure or look? Did he have alternative beginning where he was innocent?

Whatever, to make Marvel movies more interesting. It has to be more realistic. The realism can be increased by adding a bit of spirituality. Like only highly spiritually developed people can stand the energy of the infinity stones. This was because such object of powers can magnify the positive and negative of any person and influence the surrounding and affect other people. Majority of those who have encounters with the "Rod of Initiation" end up in great turmoil because it magnifies all their nature.. it was written in the "myth" the following that is time tested in occult literature:

"At this stage also the aspirant's life becomes an instrument of destruction in the occult sense of the term. Wherever he goes the force which flows through him from the higher planes and his own inner God produces at times peculiar results upon his environment. It acts as a stimulator of both the good and the evil. The lunar Pitris, or little lives which form the bodies of his brother and his own body, are likewise stimulated, their activity is increased and their power greatly aggravated. This fact is used by Those Who work on the inner side to bring about certain desired ends. This it is also which often causes the temporary downfall of advanced souls. They cannot stand the force pouring into them, or upon them, and through the temporary over-stimulation of their centres and vehicles they go to pieces. This can be seen working out in groups as well as in individuals. But, inversely, if the lunar Lords, or lives of the lower self, have been earlier subjugated and brought under control, then the effect of the force and energy contacted is to stimulate the response of the physical brain consciousness and the head centres to egoic contact. Then the otherwise destructive force becomes a factor for good and a helpful stimulation, and can be used by Those Who know how, to lead men on to further illumination."

Thanos evil nature were simply magnified thousands of times by the Infinity Stones (symbolizing the Rod of Initiation and other objects of powers).

In future Marvel movies, this theme must be explored to make it even more interesting so the story can affect you long even after you left the theater.

dahoa said:
I read about Thanos childhood and teenage years in Titan. He had really murdered a lot of people out of pure evil. Why didn't the movie depict a more menacing figure or look? Did he have alternative beginning where he was innocent?

Frankly because that's boring. A very common criticism of superhero films (and related) is that they rely too much on the evil villain who is evil for no discernable reason. It makes their actions confusing, their goals unclear and gives them no relatability. One of the reasons the marvel films have been so successful is their attention to character motivation. They've had a lot of crappy villains but also some very well fleshed out ones (Loki being the prime example). The worst ones are those who are just like you describe; one note evil with nothing else to them (like the dark elf who I can barely remember from Thor 2).

As an example: one of the most powerful scenes in the film was Thanos killing Gomora. The fact that he was crying, that he displayed internal conflict, and still chose to kill his beloved (from his perspective) daughter to achieve his end goals powerfully hammered home how dedicated he is to his cause. He wants to cull the population of the universe and this showed us that deaths hurt him as much as anyone else, but he still believed. If he was a mustache twirling pure evil character this would have been way less interesting.

dahoa said:
Whatever, to make Marvel movies more interesting. It has to be more realistic.

More interesting to you? If you much prefer movies with more realism then comic book movies aren't going to be for you. They are an everything-including-the-kitchen-sink genre.

dahoa said:
The realism can be increased by adding a bit of spirituality. Like only highly spiritually developed people can stand the energy of the infinity stones. This was because such object of powers can magnify the positive and negative of any person and influence the surrounding and affect other people. Majority of those who have encounters with the "Rod of Initiation" end up in great turmoil because it magnifies all their nature.. it was written in the "myth" the following that is time tested in occult literature:

"At this stage also the aspirant's life becomes an instrument of destruction in the occult sense of the term. Wherever he goes the force which flows through him from the higher planes and his own inner God produces at times peculiar results upon his environment. It acts as a stimulator of both the good and the evil. The lunar Pitris, or little lives which form the bodies of his brother and his own body, are likewise stimulated, their activity is increased and their power greatly aggravated. This fact is used by Those Who work on the inner side to bring about certain desired ends. This it is also which often causes the temporary downfall of advanced souls. They cannot stand the force pouring into them, or upon them, and through the temporary over-stimulation of their centres and vehicles they go to pieces. This can be seen working out in groups as well as in individuals. But, inversely, if the lunar Lords, or lives of the lower self, have been earlier subjugated and brought under control, then the effect of the force and energy contacted is to stimulate the response of the physical brain consciousness and the head centres to egoic contact. Then the otherwise destructive force becomes a factor for good and a helpful stimulation, and can be used by Those Who know how, to lead men on to further illumination."

Thanos evil nature were simply magnified thousands of times by the Infinity Stones (symbolizing the Rod of Initiation and other objects of powers).

In future Marvel movies, this theme must be explored to make it even more interesting so the story can affect you long even after you left the theater.

I can't see how any of this adds to the films, or solves your apparent issue of a lack of realism in comic book films.

Likes Auto-Didact
Auto-Didact said:
This would change the future dynamics of the universe considerably, strongly disfavoring the occurence of a repeat event.

You mean that aside from the direct effects of culling leaving fewer individuals who use resources, the long term effects of the culling would be to permanently change behavior to avoid a subsequent culling event? Did I get you right?

dahoa said:
Whatever, to make Marvel movies more interesting. It has to be more realistic. The realism can be increased by adding a bit of spirituality. Like only highly spiritually developed people can stand the energy of the infinity stones. This was because such object of powers can magnify the positive and negative of any person and influence the surrounding and affect other people. Majority of those who have encounters with the "Rod of Initiation" end up in great turmoil because it magnifies all their nature.. it was written in the "myth" the following that is time tested in occult literature:

I don't think going such a route would help the MCU at all. The story, especially Infinity War, is an epic tragedy almost on par with the great classic Homeric work. When I saw it in the cinema, at the end everyone left in dead silence, indicating that the story is definitely as powerful and memorable as it needs to be. Judging from the critical reception and box office numbers it is exactly what the audience wants. Judging from YouTube and comic book movie forums, what's going to happen in Avengers 4 is all people have been talking about since the movie hit.

If you just want more realism and a good dose of symbolism, go check out the DC films. They range from amazing (The Dark Knight) to good (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman) to trash (Justice League). Outside of that you have the older but not outdated films such as Blade, Hellboy, Spawn, Watchmen and Ghost Rider.

Grinkle said:
You mean that aside from the direct effects of culling leaving fewer individuals who use resources, the long term effects of the culling would be to permanently change behavior to avoid a subsequent culling event? Did I get you right?
Yes. It is very likely people would blame the event on some unequilibrium in the world and would then go to great lengths i.e. the dogmatic institutionalisation of an ideology. Assuming they identified the correct parameter out of balance, namely overpopulation, the effects of this ideology would almost certainly keep the population in check for a long time to come through social, cultural and political restrictions.

Judging from actual history though, populations restricted by such state level planned interventions empirically represent very unstable states of the system and therefore a tremendous amount of effort is required to keep the population in check and so uphold the state of said system, far too much effort for populations to do so naturally; a large enough deviation will spontaneously lead to a collapse to a more stable disordered state.

One way around this is by making the population begin to adhere to the new restrictions spontaneously through a self-reinforcing complete indoctrination i.e. by making it a totalitarian ideal which the followers themselves want to achieve and uphold for ethical and/or moral reasons. The above can be modeled as a Kuramoto type equation.

Auto-Didact said:
Judging from actual history though, such state level planned interventions empirically represent very unstable states of the system and therefore they require a lot of effort to uphold, far too much effort for populations to do so naturally; a large enough deviation will lead to a spontaneous collapse to a more stable disordered state.

This matches my intuition. Do you have any examples of stable long-term deviation from natural human behavior? Anything I can think of only lasted a few generations at most. You didn't claim there are any such examples, I'm just curious if you know of any.

Grinkle said:
This matches my intuition. Do you have any examples of stable long-term deviation from natural human behavior? Anything I can think of only lasted a few generations at most. You didn't claim there are any such examples, I'm just curious if you know of any.
I haven't reviewed the literature on this myself, but from intuition I would presume almost all evolved traditions, for example marriage, patriotism, the upholding of religious doctrines, (inter)national rights and laws, ethical and moral frameworks, social reforms and so on all represent stable long-term deviations from (more) natural human behaviour, that being extremely animalistic behavior i.e. just living based on our base urges.

There are of course also different levels of stability i.e. for homogeneous groups tribalism is already more stable than not working together, while for non-homogeneous groups the baser form of tribalism needs to be amended to something like patriotism or at least the shared belief in some ideal capable of uniting the heterogeneous groups.

Likes Grinkle
Auto-Didact said:
It is very likely people would blame the event on some unequilibrium in the world and would then go to great lengths i.e. the dogmatic institutionalisation of an ideology.

A different (perhaps different, or perhaps just a subset of your general idea) outcome occurs to me - one that I would enjoy seeing explored in the next film, dark as it is.

Some societies might decide culling events are good things and pray for the return of Thanos to do a repeat performance. I will claim without data that for most individuals abstaining from reproduction is a lot of effort, and also for most individuals its repugnant to purposefully cull within the tribe. I can imagine a society that prefers to live without restriction and accepts that the price of this lifestyle is the occasional visit from Thanos - awful but perhaps to some less awful than culling from within and less awful than living forever with other restrictions on lifestyle.

Likes Auto-Didact
Ryan_m_b said:
Frankly because that's boring. A very common criticism of superhero films (and related) is that they rely too much on the evil villain who is evil for no discernable reason. It makes their actions confusing, their goals unclear and gives them no relatability. One of the reasons the marvel films have been so successful is their attention to character motivation. They've had a lot of crappy villains but also some very well fleshed out ones (Loki being the prime example). The worst ones are those who are just like you describe; one note evil with nothing else to them (like the dark elf who I can barely remember from Thor 2).

As an example: one of the most powerful scenes in the film was Thanos killing Gomora. The fact that he was crying, that he displayed internal conflict, and still chose to kill his beloved (from his perspective) daughter to achieve his end goals powerfully hammered home how dedicated he is to his cause. He wants to cull the population of the universe and this showed us that deaths hurt him as much as anyone else, but he still believed. If he was a mustache twirling pure evil character this would have been way less interesting.
More interesting to you? If you much prefer movies with more realism then comic book movies aren't going to be for you. They are an everything-including-the-kitchen-sink genre.
I can't see how any of this adds to the films, or solves your apparent issue of a lack of realism in comic book films.

I was thinking along the line of Jedi theme in Marvel movies.

Anyway. There are now tons of superhero movies and tv series.. why the sudden increase? as escape to reality? what do you and others think?

dahoa said:
I was thinking along the line of Jedi theme in Marvel movies.

Anyway. There are now tons of superhero movies and tv series.. why the sudden increase? as escape to reality? what do you and others think?
Simple: if the CG, acting and storytelling are done well, it turns out people will go out in droves to see such films, making this a very profitable business. Turns out that there is an even stronger demand for large cinematic universes with overarching stories spanning several sequels and multiple crossovers across many years. After The Avengers succeeded, things were on big time, for it demonstrated that this was an insanely profitable formula for a moviemaking studio.

Kevin Feige, Jon Favreau et al. gambled big when they started on this path with Iron Man, Hulk and Thor, all B to C-level heroes at best at that time. The timeline isn't exactly accidental either seeing a large subset of paying fans, i.e. 20 to 40 year old men grew up watching the classic Marvel cartoons with large multi-episode story arcs where the crossover between comics was already introduced. The same goes for all kids who grew up after this generation.

This isn't the entire story though, for it doesn't explain the unexpected twist Marvel had in store: turning unknown comics, not even introduced as cartoons, into household blockbuster names using dedicated writers and directors in conjunction with talented actors, fueled by large sums of cash. After the success of Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool, the floodgates were opened: here were obscure comics making hundreds of millions of dollars on the big screen. This opened the way for both Doctor Strange and Black Panther. Given that there are tonnes of comics to pick from, it's no wonder that is exactly what they are doing.

It sounds easier than it is though, seeing WB/DC tried to do the same and failed miserably with the DCEU/Justice League. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, literally the most famous superheroes ever, raked in nowhere near as much money as the MCU films. It is obvious now that the years Marvel took in fleshing out their universe through several good films was beneficial, while DC's strategy, i.e. merely trying to play a game of financial catch up instead of focusing on their films have done them more harm than good.

This just goes to show that good storytelling paired with action helped along by CG goes a very long way. Superhero stories are always semi-relatable narratives. The MCU ones seem to tie into many modern day themes and issues such as terrorism, cybersecurity, overpopulation and the classic hero origins and teamwork stories, while the DCEU ones seem to be the dreadfulness of the world, xenophobia, mankind against the gods and hope in the face of unbeatable odds.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Let me take this opportunity to inquire something I want to know. What makes those movies so unrealistic (Wanda, Vision, Doctor Strange powers are more realistic since they are just hidden extensions of laws of physics beyond the standard model) is the body banging where for example Captain America was tossed up and thrown against wall or from 3 stories and yet no body injury. The most extreme is Iron Man where he could be hit by missiles or truck and yet his body doesn't suffer any fractures or broken bones. But in the case of the super high tech Iron Man. What would happen if his suit can control Inertia and Gravity? If it could control inertia, can you deflect the momentum of the punch from Hulk or the impact from a truck?

Auto-Didact said:
Simple: if the CG, acting and storytelling are done well, it turns out people will go out in droves to see such films, making this a very profitable business. Turns out that there is an even stronger demand for large cinematic universes with overarching stories spanning several sequels and multiple crossovers across many years. After The Avengers succeeded, things were on big time, for it demonstrated that this was an insanely profitable formula for a moviemaking studio.

Kevin Feige, Jon Favreau et al. gambled big when they started on this path with Iron Man, Hulk and Thor, all B to C-level heroes at best at that time. The timeline isn't exactly accidental either seeing a large subset of paying fans, i.e. 20 to 40 year old men grew up watching the classic Marvel cartoons with large multi-episode story arcs where the crossover between comics was already introduced. The same goes for all kids who grew up after this generation.

This isn't the entire story though, for it doesn't explain the unexpected twist Marvel had in store: turning unknown comics, not even introduced as cartoons, into household blockbuster names using dedicated writers and directors in conjunction with talented actors, fueled by large sums of cash. After the success of Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool, the floodgates were opened: here were obscure comics making hundreds of millions of dollars on the big screen. This opened the way for both Doctor Strange and Black Panther. Given that there are tonnes of comics to pick from, it's no wonder that is exactly what they are doing.

It sounds easier than it is though, seeing WB/DC tried to do the same and failed miserably with the DCEU/Justice League. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, literally the most famous superheroes ever, raked in nowhere near as much money as the MCU films. It is obvious now that the years Marvel took in fleshing out their universe through several good films was beneficial, while DC's strategy, i.e. merely trying to play a game of financial catch up instead of focusing on their films have done them more harm than good.

This just goes to show that good storytelling paired with action helped along by CG goes a very long way. Superhero stories are always semi-relatable narratives. The MCU ones seem to tie into many modern day themes and issues such as terrorism, cybersecurity, overpopulation and the classic hero origins and teamwork stories, while the DCEU ones seem to be the dreadfulness of the world, xenophobia, mankind against the gods and hope in the face of unbeatable odds.

Here is an interesting comment about What the MCU gets right that the DCEU gets wrong.. but it didn't mention the villians so evil in DECU...

Read More: https://www.looper.com/104232/mcu-gets-right-dceu-gets-wrong/?utm_campaign=clip

https://www.looper.com/104232/mcu-g...&utm_campaign=zergnet_3148935&utm_content=258

There is another reason why such movies are so beloved especially when the storylines are so complex and realistic. It has to do with our racial or collective psyche or Freudian or Jung storehouses of myths and legends. I don't know the exact words to describe it. So I need to find some references where it summarizes all stories and myths from the beginning about the battle between the forces and good and evil (Infinity War is outright display of it).

For example. I'll mention the occult literature which described the events that transpired in times long distant past when powers like those possessed by X-Men and Avengers and stuff were commonplace.

"The cleavage between the two groups (the one expressing the forces of materialism and the other the energy of light) grew gradually wider until towards the close of the Atlantean Age it was so wide, the lines of demarcation between the two schools of life and thought were so clear, that a crisis was
precipitated in the then civilised world of which the present conflict is a definite effect. Then took place the great war between the Lords of Form and the Lords of Being, or between the Forces of Matter and the Great White Lodge. The Forces of Light triumphed because the Hierarchy was forced to intervene potently, and, with the aid of certain great Lives extraneous to our planetary life, They brought the Atlantean civilisation to an abrupt end after a long period of chaos and disaster. This took place through the medium of a culminating catastrophe which wiped hundreds of thousands of human beings off the face of the earth. This historical event has been preserved for us in the universal legend of the great flood."

Imagine Thanos being extraneous to our planetary life bringing the civilization to an abrupt end...

And I'm not saying I believe the above. It's just example an Occult mythology of this ancient conflict. Do you have references of other mythologies that described similar power struggles... remember Zeus, Olympus, Summerian, Babylonian, etc. stuff? So that we can trace any possible subconscious linkages with them in our Marvel superheroes obsession these days?

dahoa said:
There is another reason why such movies are so beloved especially when the storylines are so complex and realistic.

You keep using the word "realistic" but I'm not sure in what context. Superhero movies are far from realistic in the fact they're straight fantasy. If you mean that the character motivations and reactions are realistic then yes in many cases they are and that level of good acting/writing makes for an engaging film. It's not unique to the genre, though you could make an argument that Marvel has done very well in developing its characters compared to past and rival superhro franchises.

dahoa said:
It has to do with our racial or collective psyche or Freudian or Jung storehouses of myths and legends. I don't know the exact words to describe it. So I need to find some references where it summarizes all stories and myths from the beginning about the battle between the forces and good and evil (Infinity War is outright display of it).

The term you're looking for is Jungian archetype. People have drawn a parallel between pantheon myths and superheros before (often within the genre). Despite that there have been many bad and unpopular superhero films so if it is a factor it is not a dominant one in Marvel's success.

Ryan_m_b said:
You keep using the word "realistic" but I'm not sure in what context. Superhero movies are far from realistic in the fact they're straight fantasy. If you mean that the character motivations and reactions are realistic then yes in many cases they are and that level of good acting/writing makes for an engaging film. It's not unique to the genre, though you could make an argument that Marvel has done very well in developing its characters compared to past and rival superhro franchises.
The term you're looking for is Jungian archetype. People have drawn a parallel between pantheon myths and superheros before (often within the genre). Despite that there have been many bad and unpopular superhero films so if it is a factor it is not a dominant one in Marvel's success.

The context is this. Before there was even Marvel or any ideas about superheroes. Those topic about "powers" were already there more than a hundred years ago. For example, the occult literature quoted:

"By an unconscious recollection of methods and formulas known and used in Atlantean days,
when the magical formulas were public property, and men produced results through the pronouncement
of certain sounds. They did not achieve their ends through mental ability, but principally through a
parrot-like capacity to repeat mantrams. These are, at times, hidden in the subconscious nature, and are
used unwittingly by the man who is feeling strongly enough.

Second. Through the thoughts and ideas of the man fitting in with the plans and purposes of those who
do know, either on the path of white or black magic. Then they utilise the form with its inherent force
and galvanise it into activity, and a temporary separate identity, thus sending it forth to accomplish its
purpose. This accounts for many of the apparently phenomenal results achieved by selfish or by
incompetent (though good) thinkers.
The magical words are only communicated under the seal of secrecy, to men working under the
Brotherhood of Light, to initiates, and to pledged chelas, owing to the great danger involved.
Occasionally, too, they are ascertained by men and women who have brought about a condition of
alignment with the Ego, and are, therefore, in touch with the inner centre of all knowledge within
themselves. When this is so, the knowledge is safe, for the Ego ever works on the side of law and
righteousness, and the words being emanated by the Ego are "lost in His sound" (as it is occultly
termed) and will not be remembered by the physical brain when not under the influence of the solar
Angel."

You see. These were written long before any powers of superheroes became popular. And what is happening is those Marvel superheroes stories were simply recounting the tales of the occult literature! Not the other way around. Therefore when you see Marvel movies.. you can remember the occult literature which precisely mentions those powers and beings that wield them long in the distant past.

Now I'm not saying I believe in the account of the occult literature.. but I want to know the source of this is which precedes the Marvel universe.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Marvel invented the concept of supernatural powers. Myths, legends and religions have featured these things since the dawn of time.

Ryan_m_b said:
I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Marvel invented the concept of supernatural powers. Myths, legends and religions have featured these things since the dawn of time.

So perhaps our avid interests in Marvel is because we are somehow subconsciously tapping into the myths, legends, religion etc as some expression or manifestation of the Jungian archetypes?

dahoa said:
So perhaps our avid interests in Marvel is because we are somehow subconsciously tapping into the myths, legends, religion etc as some expression or manifestation of the Jungian archetypes?

We started by talking about a specific film franchise (the MCU) but now you seem to be asking a more general question. The Marvel films are successful for many reasons, simply because they share similarities with mythical stories that humans have told for millennia is not enough to make a successful franchise. Look at the DCEU, the mythical allegory is way more on the nose (frequent references to superman as a god) and they are less successful in terms of critical/audience reviews and revenue.

Ryan_m_b said:
We started by talking about a specific film franchise (the MCU) but now you seem to be asking a more general question. The Marvel films are successful for many reasons, simply because they share similarities with mythical stories that humans have told for millennia is not enough to make a successful franchise. Look at the DCEU, the mythical allegory is way more on the nose (frequent references to superman as a god) and they are less successful in terms of critical/audience reviews and revenue.

I think the next X-Men movie is about horror stories (of chilldren with awakening powers).. After Avenger Infinity Wars II where Thanos was defeated (at least we know he would be subdued).. i wonder what are next phase... I hope it would be horror stories too... at least to get in touch with deeper reality... Have you read any of John Keel books? We need Marvel stories with enemies that are more powerful and fearsome that we can relate in our lives.

dahoa said:

Goodness how complicated. There is nothing subconscious about it. It is no mystery to me that I enjoy an engaging / immersive portrayal of a world where mythical / legendary / god-like events happen on a regular basis and which events drive well written / well acted human-scale drama that I can relate directly to.

I wasn't exposed to the written human history of myths / legends etc subliminally or in my sleep. I was taught about them explicitly - sometimes I was even tested on my knowledge of them after. A Marvel film doesn't leave me with some vague sense of being reminded about something but I can't remember what. Rather, I am reminded directly of pantheon's of gods or collections of folk hero's that I went into the film with full knowledge of.

To me, you are looking for a deep explanation of something that is obvious on its face.

Likes Ryan_m_b
It's actually easy to defeat Thanos. Just teleport your hands inside his chest and grab his heart or squeeze it.

Has anyone watched the movie "Mothman Prophecy"? It is based on true story. If you will go to Point Pleasant and read any of John Keel books. The details are even deeper (the movie just touch the surface). Hence a more challenging opponent for the Avengers would be the Mothman who can go inside their heads and appear in front (or back) of them while they are bathing and unprotected. When we watch Marvel movies. We were secretly hoping or longing we would have superheroes that can defeat the Mothman and other creatures who were victimizing thousands of helpless victims. This is not disinformation. Just read even one of the books or watch the movie for introduction if you haven't.

dahoa said:
It's actually easy to defeat Thanos. Just teleport your hands inside his chest and grab his heart or squeeze it.

As trite as the teleport meme is (I saw it countless times in the weeks following the films that Dr Strange should have used his portals to cut off the gloves) it goes against the fact that the film very quickly and effectively showed us that Thanos is more powerful and capable of more punishment than anything we’ve seen before. Him fighting the hulk in the first scene and winning isn’t just to look cool. It narratively establishes that an entity we’ve spent several films demonstrating to be nigh-on invulnerable and super strong was quickly and roundly defeated. For the rest of the film everyone that fought Thanos used what made them powerful in other films and, at best, they could only slow him down.

If you’ve taken from the film that there is an easy way to defeat him you haven’t realized what the fights we saw revealed. It’s a credit to the MCU that the pay off from this was so good because we have had ten years off films demonstrating how powerful the good guys are.

dahoa said:
Has anyone watched the movie "Mothman Prophecy"? It is based on true story. If you will go to Point Pleasant and read any of John Keel books. The details are even deeper (the movie just touch the surface). Hence a more challenging opponent for the Avengers would be the Mothman who can go inside their heads and appear in front (or back) of them while they are bathing and unprotected. When we watch Marvel movies. We were secretly hoping or longing we would have superheroes that can defeat the Mothman and other creatures who were victimizing thousands of helpless victims. This is not disinformation. Just read even one of the books or watch the movie for introduction if you haven't.

No one is secretly longing for that because all of those things are not real. There were no UFOs, no ghosts or monsters. What people long for watching these movies is the sense of justice and protection they give in a world where injustice is rife.

Likes Grinkle and Auto-Didact
Ryan_m_b said:
As trite as the teleport meme is (I saw it countless times in the weeks following the films that Dr Strange should have used his portals to cut off the gloves) it goes against the fact that the film very quickly and effectively showed us that Thanos is more powerful and capable of more punishment than anything we’ve seen before. Him fighting the hulk in the first scene and winning isn’t just to look cool. It narratively establishes that an entity we’ve spent several films demonstrating to be nigh-on invulnerable and super strong was quickly and roundly defeated. For the rest of the film everyone that fought Thanos used what made them powerful in other films and, at best, they could only slow him down.

I haven't thought of this idea about Dr. Strange using portal to cut off the gloves or Thanos heart. Yes. What defense Thanos use against this? How does Marvel explain it? Maybe powerful beings can create spacetime shielding or blockade such that teleporting end of white hole can't form near their bodies?

If you’ve taken from the film that there is an easy way to defeat him you haven’t realized what the fights we saw revealed. It’s a credit to the MCU that the pay off from this was so good because we have had ten years off films demonstrating how powerful the good guys are.
No one is secretly longing for that because all of those things are not real. There were no UFOs, no ghosts or monsters. What people long for watching these movies is the sense of justice and protection they give in a world where injustice is rife.

Auto-Didact said:
The directors have also directly said that Adam Warlock will not feature in the Avengers movie next year but will be reserved for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
Warlock in Vol.3?Can't wait when it come out!

I really didn't like the end of Infinity War. :oldruck:

Borg said:
I really didn't like the end of Infinity War. :oldruck:
Please be spoiler free.:smile:

Young physicist said:
Please be spoiler free.:smile:
I would wrap it in a spoiler if I wrote anything specific about the movie. However, there is at least one unwrapped spoiler in the thread already so be careful what you read.

Likes Imager and YoungPhysicist