Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, and the MCU

1. May 10, 2015 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So, I don't know if people are just not liking the series or if the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is not of any great interest. But I find it strange that there isn't an acknowledgement of a rather unique and unprecedented event that we have never seen before in the movie and TV industry history.

For the first time ever, at least for as far as I can remember, there are a bunch of movies and TV series that are intertwined with each other. I have never seen anything like it before. I don't normally watch any kind of ongoing series on TV, but I'm drawn in with Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, and then following the big-screen drama of the various Marvel Characters. If you are in the US, you would have seen how Captain America - Winter Soldier and Avengers - Age of Ultron were weaved seamlessly within Agents of SHIELD when the premier weekend of the movie impacted the TV series' storyline in the very next episode!

And while we all expect the various Avengers will have individual movies (Captain America and Iron Man) will clearly connect to each other and the Avengers movie, it appears that even the ones that did not have an obvious connection might make contact with each other (if you have sat through the credits during Age of Ultron, you would see the first hint that Guardian of the Galaxy world will be impacted by the Avengers' universe).

I've never cared for Marvel comics and characters before, so I don't know the intricate details of the storyline and the characters. But I am in awe of how they are juggling all of these at the same time. And the fact that in SHIELDS alone, they could easily have 3 or 4 different story lines, is just mindboggling.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is pretty novel. Perhaps, Star Trek would a not so close second as there were movies being and multiple spin off series running concurrently though not with the intensity seen today.

Another close tv event might be the westerns which while not in the same universe of characters all had cowboy and wild west themes. Also cop shows or csi style shows which are popular today.

4. May 11, 2015 #3
    It is really quite an amazing and intricate universe they've built, and they deserve a lot of credit (and a lot of money.) I can't imagine how brilliant it must be for a long time consumer of Marvel stories to be around now, where everything they've read and enjoyed is coming to life (and in a good way as well, not in a Ang Lee Hulk or emo Spider-Man sequel way.)

In my opinion, the MCU series don't get nearly enough credit or viewership. Agents of SHIELD is top notch espionage/sci-fi stuff, with intricate arcs and twists. The way it tied in with The Winter Soldier was very satisfying. Agent Carter was very charming and great fun, and I do get a kick out of the aesthetics of that era along with the anachronistic Stark tech and Cold War intrigue. I haven't got around to Daredevil yet (bloody exam season,) but I've only heard good things about it.

As jedishrfu said, the only comparison near the scope of the MCU is probably Star Trek - five TV series and ten movies I think, creating a grand and unique universe. Perhaps the universe of Doctor Who, which had three canon series on it at some point, and has had a movie, and has decades of episodes, is comparable as well. But there is no doubt in the MCU's grander scale, and they're reaping the rewards they deserve. Long may it continue, because I'm loving it.

5. May 12, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Don't miss the 2-hour season finale tonight (if you're in the US). Advanced word is that a lot of unexpected things will be happening (as usual!). :)

Zz.

6. May 12, 2015 #5
    Bah, as a measly foreigner I will have to watch it online. Also as I'm inundated with exams atm (maybe I should be revising right now,) I am a couple episodes behind. One gripe I have with these ABC shows have ads during an episode, actually actively distracting and obscuring things on screen. It is so annoying as they are actually intrusive, not least when the ABC logo pops up with this massive amber lens flare, it is so infuriating.

7. May 12, 2015 #6
    Did Agents of Shield get better? I started watching it but lost interest after 5 or so episodes.
    Wondering if I should give it another shot...

8. May 12, 2015 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It got WAAAAAY better in the 2nd season. You've missed their best.

Zz.

9. May 12, 2015 #8
    I honestly found the first half of season 1 very bland, but stuff goes down very suddenly and everything has been more awesome and interesting since. Definitely recommend giving it another shot.

10. May 12, 2015 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OH MY GOD!

That was one kickin' finale!!! And no, I won't reveal any spoilers, but I will say that I will never complain about a broken fingernail anymore!

Zz.

11. May 13, 2015 #10
    This intertwining of the stories started in the comic books. Previously when I bought Spiderman, the story continued in Daredevil... and even in the X-men comic books, you need to buy about 5 different titles to get one story. They did it so the customers would buy all of them. This is the reason why I stopped reading them because if you miss one.. you won't miss the stories. Now this is present in the movies as well. In Thor part 1, the story literally continued in Avengers part 1, then continued in Thor part 2.

The stories in the current installments were all in the comic book stories in the 1970s-1990. So for years to come, they can come up with dozen of new stories that can make them literally earns hundreds of billions. What a way to make a lot of money!

I love Skye in Agents of Shield. Does anyone here doesn't find her pretty and sexy? :)

12. Jul 3, 2015 #11
    I've been a fan of Marvel since the days the comics came over as ballast. I used to go to the newsagents round the corner and rummage through the stacks he had on the shelves. A far cry from Forbidden Planet and all those other commercial comic book stores.
    So I was in seventh heaven when the MCU started to roll out. To see the superheroes I grew up with live on the big screen was totally mind blowing. Joss Whedon got The Avengers absolutely perfect; the man's a genius.
    Agents of Shield took a while to settle in and fill out but it's improved a lot and is a great filler in between the movies. The tie in to Captain America the Winter Soldier; The Inhumans, Black Panther, Just goes to show what good planning and team work can achieve. And did anyone notice the 'Man-Thing' reference?

13. Jul 3, 2015 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I missed it.

In any case, coming back to SHIELD, I've re-watched the season finale at least twice more, and I'm convinced that this is one of the best, if not THE best season finale of any series that I've ever seen. This is the SHIELD that many of us were expecting, especially from the disappointing first season (other than the "Ward-turn" episode). Keeping me on the edge of my seat for almost the entire 2 hours was not easy to do, and they did it.

I can't wait for September.

Zz.

14. Jul 3, 2015 #13
    Personally, i quite much enjoy Agents of shield season 1 also, if season two gets better, i'm sure it will be very good. :)

15. Jul 3, 2015 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The one that just ended WAS season 2.

Zz.

16. Jul 4, 2015 #15
    It was an episode in which Agent Hill appeared. The scene was night time and she was standing on some steps in front of a building. She is speaking to someone on the phone and says "And what the hell is a Man-Thing?" Hey, I found a vid http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=98997

17. Jul 25, 2015 #16
    I've watched all three shows and I definitely love them, especially Agents of SHIELD! All those references to the events of The Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron blew my mind. I'm pretty excited to see how are they going to tie-in season 3 of AoS with Civil War. I'm also hoping to see references to Civil War in the second season of Daredevil and Marvel's Jessica Jones. The Superhero Registration Act is probably going to be the most important thing to happen yet in the MCU, in my opinion.

Also, did you like Ant-Man? It had nice tie-ins too!

18. Jul 25, 2015 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I love Ant Man. Just like Guardian of the Galaxy, I had such low expectation of the movie going in, and ended up being pleasantly surprised at how good and how clever the movie was. This movie is unlike any other Marvel movie, with Guardians being its closest cousin.

I can't wait how they'll incorporate Ant Man in Capt. America. Saying anymore will ruin the movie for you unless you did not sit through to the very end of the credits.

"I know a guy...."

Zz.

19. Jul 25, 2015 #18
    hmmm, after seeing the trailer a few times I thought it looked incredibly lame, but maybe I will give it a chance now.

20. Jul 25, 2015 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I had the same reaction with Guardians, and look at how much fun that movie became.

So don't judge a movie by its trailer! :)

Zz.

21. Jul 25, 2015 #20
    Indeed I did. Best post-credits scene yet, it made me much more eager for CW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted