Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is brass magnetic?

1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 18, 2013 #3
    "Because brass is not ferromagnetic, it can be separated from ferrous scrap by passing the scrap near a powerful magnet."
    This sentence seems contradictory.
    Not ferromagnetic but can be separated near a magnet?? What does it mean??

5. Jan 18, 2013 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You remove the ferromagnetic and you're left with the brass? Plus the gold, aluminium, tin etc. of course, which gives you a different problem.

6. Jan 18, 2013 #5

Borek

I'll take the gold, so you have one problem less.

7. Jan 18, 2013 #6

Drakkith

The ferromagnetic material is picked up by the magnet, leaving the non ferromagnetic material behind.

8. Jan 20, 2013 #7
    There is a brass alloy that is slightly magnetic. It has 1-2% of iron in it. It used to be used quite often for coating ships bottoms to prevent critters from attaching themselves. As far as I know it's not used anymore.

It won't really stick to a magnet though other than with a real slight attraction. I.E. you can't pick a piece of it up with a magnet. You can hang a small piece of it from a thread and move a good magnet close to it and see movement from it due to the magnetic field but it's very small amount of movement.

9. Jan 20, 2013 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And there are ferrous alloys that aren't noticeably ferromagnetic either. Marine grade stainless steel is a good (and expensive) example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook