Thermal Expansion Problem Involving a Brass Ring

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the change in temperature using the equation ΔL = LαΔT, where L is the diameter. The attempt at a solution involved setting the diameters of the brass ring and steel rod equal and using the given information about the hole being 50 μm too small to solve for ΔT. However, there was a discrepancy with the final answer, leading to a request for the detailed calculation.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

upload_2016-12-20_20-55-16.png

Homework Equations

ΔL = LαΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was to set the diameter of the inside of the brass ring + the change in diameter of the brass ring equal to the diameter of the steel rod + change in the diameter of the steel rod. So,

Lbrass + ΔLbrass = Lsteel + ΔLsteel

Where L is the diameter

Then I used ΔL = LαΔT to solve both ΔL's

Lbrass + LbrassαbrassΔT = Lsteel + LsteelαsteelΔT

Then I solved for ΔT and got

(Lbrass - Lsteel) / (Lsteelαsteel - Lbrassαbrass) = ΔT

Then since it states that the hole is 50 μM too small I did

(50 μm) / (Lsteelαsteel - Lbrassαbrass) = ΔT

I get a very small answer for ΔT but the answer says ΔT should be about 313 °C

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-20_20-44-18.png
    upload_2016-12-20_20-44-18.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 966
Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:
I get a very small answer for ΔT
I get about 370 from your equation (what coefficients are you using?). Please post your detailed calculation.

haruspex said:
I get about 370 from your equation (what coefficients are you using?). Please post your detailed calculation.

I did

(50 x 10^-9) / ( 0.020 * 1.1 x10^-5 - 0.020*1.9 x10^-5)

BrainMan said:
50 x 10^-9
μm.

Likes BrainMan
haruspex said:
μm.

I see. Thanks

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. This phenomenon occurs because as temperature increases, the molecules in a material gain kinetic energy and vibrate more, causing the material to expand. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the molecules lose kinetic energy and the material contracts.

What is a brass ring?

A brass ring is a circular band made from an alloy of copper and zinc. Brass is a popular material for use in jewelry, musical instruments, and plumbing fixtures due to its attractive golden color, durability, and corrosion resistance.

What factors affect the thermal expansion of a brass ring?

The thermal expansion of a brass ring is primarily influenced by the material's coefficient of thermal expansion, which is a measure of how much the material expands or contracts per degree of temperature change. Other factors that can affect thermal expansion include the shape and size of the ring, the temperature range it is exposed to, and any external forces acting on the ring.

How does thermal expansion affect a brass ring?

When a brass ring is heated, it will expand in all dimensions. This can lead to changes in its shape and size, which can cause problems in applications where precise measurements are necessary, such as in machinery or construction. Similarly, when a brass ring is cooled, it will contract, potentially causing issues with the fit or functionality of the ring.

How can thermal expansion problems involving a brass ring be addressed?

Thermal expansion problems can be addressed by taking into account the coefficient of thermal expansion and making necessary adjustments in design or measurements. For example, in the case of a brass ring that needs to maintain a specific size, the designer may choose to use a material with a lower coefficient of thermal expansion or incorporate a compensation mechanism to counteract the effects of thermal expansion. In some cases, a material with a higher coefficient of thermal expansion may be desirable, such as in applications where a tight fit is required, as the material will expand more and create a tighter seal.