Is calc based physics while taking calc crazy?

• Thread starter jaysquestions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there is no universal rule for whether or not to take calculus before physics. Some schools require it, while others teach them concurrently. It is generally recommended to have a good understanding of calculus before taking physics, as it is based on calculus concepts. However, some students may find it easier to learn math through physics. It ultimately depends on the individual and their specific school's requirements.
jaysquestions
Does everyone (that needs an A) always take calc I and II (and maybe III) before taking physics I and II? Is it really that difficult to do well in physics while taking calc at same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are both intense subjects with Physics being based on Calculus. If you had a headstart on Calculus I (i.e. understood Differential Calculus and could differentiate and evaluate functions) when you start Physics you should be okay but I'd wait for others here to respond with their experiences.

jaysquestions said:
Does everyone (that needs an A) always take calc I and II (and maybe III) before taking physics I and II? Is it really that difficult to do well in physics while taking calc at same time?
Physics 1 requires you know Calculus 1. Co-requisite is Calculus 2.
Physics 2 requires you know Calculus 2. Co-requisite is Calculus 3.

Those conditions stated, learning the mathematics well and sooner than you need it for the Physics is much, much, much preferable. Physics 2 (Electricity & Magnetism) uses some Calculus 3 topics, and this is why learning Calculus 3 (multivariable) should be done before Physics 2 if possible.

Likes jedishrfu
The way my school did it was teach Physics 1 with differential calculus, and Physics 2 with integral calculus. It worked fine for me, but would have been easier had I understood calculus prior to taking the physics courses.

My introductory Physics classes were so hard because my professor taught like we were done with multi-variable Calc while we were mostly in Calc. II.

I saw my first partial derivative, line integral, gradient and triple integral in Physics I. We all agreed we learned more math in Physics than in math. Calc III When we got to it was SO boring. The math professor couldn't believe how good we were on his tests. The two midterms all of us who had the same physics professor averaged mid 90's.

Most professors I've seen though understand were the students are though and so they tone down the derivations and homework problems.

Personally, I always learn math much better when I can see what it's supposed to be doing in physics (I struggle with physics much less than math). At least in introductory physics classes, while they are calculus based, in my experience they haven't been very rigorous with the calculus - by that I mean the physics professors are trying to see if you can do physics, not calculus. You may have to do an integral or a derivative, but the difficulty in the problem is understanding how to set up the integral, or why you need the derivative - not the computation itself.

jaysquestions said:
Not all universities do this the same way. Some design their first semester physics so that it is taken at the same time as a first course in calculus, while others require a semester of calculus as a strict prerequisite. For your particular situation, your advisor is a key person to discuss this with, as she/he will know the way your particular school does this. Also note that "calc I", "calc II" etc doesn't necessarily mean the same thing at all schools either.

jason

It seems schools have different structures for their physics and math classes in the intro years. At my school, most students take calc 1 and physics 1 at the same time. But in your specific case, we may not be able to help you, talk to your physics professor.

I've started physics and I'm taking calculus also. I notice that what I'm struggling with physics is making a math model for the word problem. Once I have the problem broken down into a math problem is really straight forward. It takes a lot longer then my math homework because of that difficulty. I often am asking 'what do they want me to do'

Unless you are taking an honors version you should be fine. I took AP physics in high school (my high school was very intense) and had taken BC calc the year before, but plenty of people took them concurrently.

At my school calc I has to be taken with phys I and calc II has to be taken with phys II. Then calc III and IV are co-reqs, or pre-reqs, for other courses. So it isn't like you can't do it.

1. What is calc-based physics?

Calc-based physics is a type of physics course that requires knowledge of calculus in order to solve problems and understand concepts. It is typically taken at the college level and is more advanced than algebra-based physics.

2. Why is calc-based physics considered to be more difficult?

Calc-based physics is often considered more difficult because it requires a strong understanding of calculus, which can be challenging for many students. Additionally, the concepts and problems in calc-based physics tend to be more complex and involve more abstract thinking than algebra-based physics.

3. Do I need to take calculus before taking calc-based physics?

It is recommended to have a solid foundation in calculus before taking calc-based physics, as many of the concepts build upon each other. However, some universities may offer a combined calculus and calc-based physics course for students who have not yet taken calculus.

4. How can I succeed in calc-based physics while taking calculus at the same time?

In order to succeed in calc-based physics while taking calculus at the same time, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make sure to attend all lectures and take thorough notes, and practice solving problems regularly to reinforce your understanding of both calculus and physics concepts.

5. Is it necessary to take calc-based physics for certain majors?

While calc-based physics may be required for some science and engineering majors, it is not necessary for all majors. It is best to check with your academic advisor to see if calc-based physics is a requirement for your specific major.