Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses How to prepare for Calculus Based Physics 2?

1. Aug 12, 2018 #1
    hello,

Some background
    I transfer to SUNY Albany in Fall 2017 and took the following courses
    Organic chemistry 1: C+
    Calculus 2: B-
    A PHY 140 Physics I: Mechanics (3): E (like F)
    An introduction to the fundamentals of physics: Classical Mechanics. Topics include the concepts of force, energy and work applied to the kinematics and dynamics of particles and rigid bodies and an introduction to special relativity
    Physics lab 1: B-

Now, This Fall I’ll be taking
    Air Pollution Air quality
    Linear Algebra
    Quantitative analysis w/lab
    A PHY 150 Physics II: Electromagnetism (3)
    An introduction to the fundamentals of physics: electrostatics and magnetism, including the concepts of the electric and magnetic fields, electric potential and basic circuits; the laws of Gauss, Ampere, and Faraday; Maxwell’s equations; geometrical optics.
    Introduction to Biochemistry

Now my question is:
    I retook General Physics 1 (Algebra based) in summer and will be taking calc based physics 2 in Fall. Is there anything I need to know for Physics 2? I completed calc 3 last semester. In December, I changed my major to biology, but now I’m a chemistry major. My advisor let me take physics 1 over the summer and said it will be substituted in for Physics 1 calc based.

What topics from physics 1 comes back in physics 2? When I retook it it made more sense for me and the topics I struggle with in Fall 2017 made a lot more sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2018 #2
    I like your honesty. Not many are brave enough to publicly declare their grades.

But I am not familiar with your Phy 1, 2 Calc 3 syllabus. I ama not from US. Could you please briefly describe or link the syllabi?

Thanks.

4. Aug 12, 2018 #3
    Well, physics is like a compounding thing, where all previous knowledge applies. But, to try to answer your question, I think there certainly will be a focus on energy, work, and force. This time the forces will be due to electricity and magnetism, but F=ma still rules the day.

Also, expect lots of vectors.

5. Aug 12, 2018 #4
    Ah perfect! I love vectors (Calc 3 was my favorite class). Thanks, I will review the work and energy.

6. Aug 12, 2018 #5
    Well, I actually deserved that F grade. If my professor used a curved I would have failed both physics 1 and 2. I already took Calculus 3

I don't have the syllabi right now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted