1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Is CFD fluid mechanics + computer science?

1. Aug 2, 2017 #1
    I'm having fluid dynamics classes right now and I'm enjoying it very much (much more than my solid mechanics classes, by the way). Also, I do like programming and computer science, and CFD looks like a very interesting field. I'm developing a real interest for it.

One question for those who are familiar with the field: how much computer science for a CFD engineer? The field is indeed very much mathematically intensive, and I know that C++ is the preferred language for doing CFD computations. I think it would be a very interesting field for me, because I'm interested in all those areas.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it is, to some extent. The programming is more of a numerical flavor than pure OOP. All of the CFD'ers I know are mechanical engineers, not a computer scientist in the bunch. I would say if you have a good year long course in C++, a couple of courses in numerical algorithms and a couple of courses in algorithms and data structures you'd be OK (more like a CS minor than a major).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted