Is Coasting Through Life Sustainable for a Young Adult?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inertia
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 9K views
Just don't enable her, but let her do her thing.

The thing about being a loser is you get sick of it eventually. I have so many things I want to do with my life that just sitting around doing nothing would drive me insane.

Don't lend/give money, but she's an adult and full capable of making her own decisions.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a saying that to become an expert (or at least competent) in the arts that it requires 10,000 hours of solid practice.

I'm sure most people here agree that even something not considered "artistic" (like physics, engineering, and so on, even though I consider these equally artistic) that it has taken people probably a similar amount of time to become very good in their chosen field.

I agree with the above poster(s) that have said to just let things be. You usually have to hit rock bottom in a lot of circumstances before you recover. Reality, especially harsh, is probably the biggest motivator. When people don't face reality (like for example getting free rent, food from someone else), then of course they don't have much to worry about because they haven't faced the necessary hardship to change.

It's unfortunate that it usually takes rock-bottom to wake people up, but in my experience (personal), it took just that.

To the OP, it seems like you have a good heart, but don't get emotionally swallowed by this friend of yours. I don't know you, her, or anything about your relationship with her, but I have been with similar people in the past and they can really drain you if you are not careful.
 
blade123 said:
I have so many things I want to do with my life that just sitting around doing nothing would drive me insane.
but for some people its more like
A.A. Milne said:
There was once an old sailor my grandfather knew
Who had so many things which he wanted to do
That, whenever he thought it was time to begin,
He couldn't because of the state he was in.