Getting experience with a Bio degree

In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulties of finding a job with a biology degree and the potential options for gaining relevant work experience or further education. Suggestions include looking for internships or volunteer opportunities, pursuing a graduate degree, or exploring related fields such as environmental work or retail management. It is noted that a PhD may be necessary for long-term career success in the field of biology.
sourlemon
My sister graduated about half a year ago, but she's having trouble finding a job. She doesn't have any work experience related to Bio but she worked at CVS and H&M before doing retail work. I'm worried for her. Every job posting requires work experience or a certificate.

For those of you who didn't work during your college years, how did you guys get your foot in the door? Did you volunteer at hospital? If so, what position? Do you know if there's any internship that's offered for student who graduated? I came across a few, but they all aimed at undergrad mostly :(

Physics news on Phys.org
A biology degree isn't really useful for getting a job right out of school unless you teach. However the federal government has a pathways program where they hire new graduates and pay them pretty well, if you do well then you move on to better jobs and pay. www.usajobs.gov

That's a great website. Thank you caldweab :) I'll tell my sister to start looking through it

Why not go the retail route? With a degree she might be able to get on a fast track management path. In a few years she could be earning a lot more than any biologist, or any federal employee.

She doesn't like retail. She likes biology so it'll be nice to find something of that sort.

What about environmental work? It's easy to find volunteer work in that area. Some areas of retail are biology related, like anything to do with food standards, e.g. local sourcing:

http://www.asdasupplier.com/about-us/local-sourcing

Or why not farming? You can volunteer to work on organic farms, and a lot of agriculture is heavily science based.

sourlemon said:
She doesn't like retail. She likes biology so it'll be nice to find something of that sort.

She should go to graduate school then. "Pure" science degrees are best complimented with a graduate degree if you want employment in the field.

Haha, she's also tired of school. But it looks like that's one of the best option right now. She's currently taking free online courses so it's a step forward I hope :/

mal4mac, environment work sounds like a good choice. Farming is not a bad idea either. Obviously not at the moment since the weather is so cold. But I'll look into that. Thanks.

From what my mom has told me all of the people she knows that got bio degrees typically don't get sustainable jobs. Grad school is most likely the best option because PhDs in a science discipline are usually necessary to get the job in the field.

1. How can I gain hands-on experience with a Bio degree?

There are many ways to gain experience with a Bio degree. You can participate in research projects, internships, volunteer opportunities, or shadowing experiences. Additionally, you can join a club or organization related to your field of interest.

2. Is it important to have experience with a Bio degree?

Yes, having experience is very important for a Bio degree. It allows you to apply the knowledge you have learned in the classroom to real-world situations, develop important skills, and make connections in your field.

3. How can I find research opportunities with a Bio degree?

You can find research opportunities by contacting professors at your university, networking with other students and professionals in the field, or searching for openings on job websites. You can also reach out to research institutions or companies directly.

4. Can I get experience with a Bio degree without having to do an internship?

Yes, there are other ways to gain experience with a Bio degree besides internships. You can participate in research projects, volunteer at local organizations, or join clubs and organizations related to your field of interest.

5. How can I make the most out of my experience with a Bio degree?

To make the most out of your experience with a Bio degree, it is important to actively engage in the opportunities presented to you. Take on new challenges, ask questions, and seek out mentorship from professionals in your field. Additionally, reflect on your experiences and use them to guide your future academic and career goals.