Is Dayquil Worth the Risk? My Sickness Saga

  • Thread starter Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 4K views
Topher925
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
7
I've been home for two days and I got hit with the worst cold ever. I can't even think strait let alone get any work done I'm so sick. This is crap. I haven't been sick in more than 5 years and now I feel like I'm dying. Does Dayquil still take 3 years off your life if you take it?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Topher925 said:
I've been home for two days and I got hit with the worst cold ever. I can't even think strait let alone get any work done I'm so sick. This is crap. I haven't been sick in more than 5 years and now I feel like I'm dying. Does Dayquil still take 3 years off your life if you take it?

Sorry to hear that, Topher. Tsu just got sick as well.

I consider Nyquil to be a miracle drug.
 
Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) doesn't work for everyone but for me it's amazing. Clears my head, doesn't make me sleepy.

Sorry you feel so bad, and I hope you feel better soon!
 
Sorry to hear that you got it. That cold virus has really hit MI hard, several people from work have it. Of course they are the people who wouldn't dream of taking a sick day, or two off. I'm washing my hands like a crazy lady.

Hope you feel better soon, lousy time of year to have a cold.
 
<pours hot chicken soup into Topher's computer>

Take some mega cold medicine to relieve the symptoms. Hope you feel better soon.
 
YOU WILL DIE!


Okay okay that was a joke. Get well soon :smile:
 
Evo said:
<pours hot chicken soup into Topher's computer>
<Adds habanero hot sauce.>

If I get a cold, I'll drink chicken soup with plenty of hot sauce.

Ginger beer and green tea are good. Drink plenty of fluids and perhaps takes some vitamins.

Get well soon Topher.
 
Ditto on the habanero sauce. When I have head congestion, I'll fry up a couple of hot dogs and load the rolls with habanero relish and hot mustard. Scalp sweat and running nose are guaranteed.

Maybe some nice hot chili or curried chicken on rice.
 
Ah heck, just get some beer and pizza and put NyQuil on it.
 
In my experience, a cold will last approximately a week no matter what you do. Any "remedies" simply alleviate the symptoms. The most effective ones are illegal for a medical professional to recommend, and stupid to take. One of those is hot rum and NeoCitran. My previous boss at the bar used that one. It didn't do a damned thing to cure the cold, but she didn't regain consciousness until it had died out on its own. Hot chicken soup is great, although I suspect that any hot soup would equal it, for two reasons: it provides nourishment to someone who might not be inclined to eat solid food, and it helps to clear the sinuses as any hot liquid will do.
Until I became permanently unemployed a year and a half ago, I missed 3 days due to illness in over 35 years of working.
The thing that I consider my favourite cold-weather food would probably work as a cold alleviation. In a large bowl, mix one can of Campbell's Chunky split-pea and ham soup, one can of Maple Leaf, Puritan, etc. ham, and a couple of tablespoons of cayenne powder. Mix well, nuke it for a minute or so, an eat it with whatever beverage you prefer.
 
Last edited:
Awe, I hope you feel better soon. There must be something going around. I know a few people that have a really bad cold right now. Meds don't seem to be doing anything either. Hope you can fight it off soon though :)
 
Thanks for all the replies. I finally got my fever down but I still feel like crap. I'm a little worried since I just got back from a trip overseas and am 99% sure I got this from another country. A country that has been known for disease related pandemics. :eek:
 
Topher925 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I finally got my fever down but I still feel like crap. I'm a little worried since I just got back from a trip overseas and am 99% sure I got this from another country. A country that has been known for disease related pandemics. :eek:
<quarantines topher>

Sprays lysol on thread and all of GD.

If you aren't better in a few days, or if symptoms worsen, please get to a doctor.
 
Evo said:
<quarantines topher>

Sprays lysol on thread and all of GD.

If you aren't better in a few days, or if symptoms worsen, please get to a doctor.

*cough, sputter*

Does Lysol even work on Ebola?!?
 
Evo said:
<quarantines topher>

Sprays lysol on thread and all of GD.

If you aren't better in a few days, or if symptoms worsen, please get to a doctor.

Wow, I wondered where that smell came from
 
lisab said:
*cough, sputter*

Does Lysol even work on Ebola?!?

I realize this isn't a serious question... but yes it does. For this case however I recommend standard protocol, which is fumigation with a phenolic disinfectant... alas, Topher will be entombed within. ;)
 
nismaratwork said:
I realize this isn't a serious question... but yes it does. For this case however I recommend standard protocol, which is fumigation with a phenolic disinfectant... alas, Topher will be entombed within. ;)

:approve: That's the sort of thing that makes PF great.
 
lisab said:
:approve: That's the sort of thing that makes PF great.

I couldn't help it, I love this kind of trivia! You should see what they did to the lab in Reston VA after that incident: pans of phenolic crystals were just placed on hotplates and allowed to vaporize. The building was sealed, and the fumes allowed to settle. Even then the place was abandoned...

I really am sorry Topher, all kidding aside; I find Dayquil is a good solution, as I don't enjoy being knocked out by Nyquil. Just push fluids and yaddayaddawhatyou'veheardamilliontimesbefore.

*LisaB: it is a pretty nifty corner of the net isn't it? :)