Is decay of Z or W bosons exothermic?

In summary, the W and Z bosons have very short lives, decaying in about 10-25 seconds. Their decay is not radioactive and does not emit dangerous radiation, only heat. They decay to fermion-antifermion pairs, which means their decay is not exothermic.
jerich1000
Z and W bosons have very short lives. I assume their decay is exothermic?

Is this true? I've seen various feynman diagrams showing how these particles decay, but I'm having trouble verifying that their decay is exothermic. Also, does either of their decay emit dangerous radiation, or is it only heat?

I understand that W and Z bosons "decay to fermion–antifermion pairs". Fermions are essentially pieces of ordinary matter (I'm being brief here). Does this mean that W and Z boson decay is not radioactive? (meaning it doesn't produce alpha or beta particles or gamma rays)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jerich1000, There is no 'heat' involved in a decay, only the kinetic energy of the few particles involved. And so the only useful meaning of the terms endothermic/exothermic in particle physics is to compare the kinetic energy of the incoming particles to the outgoing ones. This makes sense, for example, when you talk about a nuclear reaction such as α + 14N → 17O + p.

W's and Z's have very short lives, as you say, about 10-25 sec, and so one must talk about the production and decay together. And for sure the W/Z will be virtual, coming either from the weak decay of another particle, e.g. n → p + W- → p + e + νe, or possibly produced in a reaction, e + νe → W → μ + νμ. In the latter case, since muons are heavier than electrons, the outgoing particles will have less kinetic energy than the incoming, so I suppose you could describe this reaction as endothermic. But the term is hardly ever used in such a context.

1. What is the decay process of Z and W bosons?

The decay process of Z and W bosons involves the transformation of these particles into other particles, releasing energy in the form of radiation or other particles.

2. Is the decay of Z and W bosons exothermic or endothermic?

The decay of Z and W bosons is exothermic, meaning that it releases energy in the form of radiation or other particles.

3. What particles are produced during the decay of Z and W bosons?

The decay of Z and W bosons can produce a variety of particles, including leptons (such as electrons and neutrinos) and quarks.

4. How does the energy released during the decay of Z and W bosons compare to other particle decays?

The energy released during the decay of Z and W bosons is relatively high compared to other particle decays, as these particles have a large mass and therefore release a significant amount of energy when they decay.

5. What is the significance of studying the decay of Z and W bosons?

Studying the decay of Z and W bosons can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and interactions of the universe, as well as help us understand the behavior of other particles and their decays.