Is Downloading UIUC Mathematica Courseware Legal?

In summary, the school probably has a site license that allows them to distribute the software en masse. If you didn't have to hack into anything to get it, then it's going to be UIUC's problem if they are violating their license agreement, not yours.
Synesthesia
Hello all,

Does anyone know anything about copyrighting? I have been downloading courseware 6.0 from math everywhere from the UIUC website (there is a direct download link on the webpage). This is recently become an issue, should I be worried? The material costs money but my school provides it on its website, am I at fault?

Any help would be appreciated, I hope this is the right place to post this.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
They probably have a site license that allows them to distribute the software en masse. Your best resource for this kind of question would be to contact UIUC directly, as they will be privy to that information.

I would contact them, put that would put me in a difficult situation ( I am encouraging downloading there instead of buying the courseware). I wanted to know the legal issues behind this before I contact any officials.
Fundamentally it seems that UIUC is distributing copyrighted material for free which is not my problem.

fss said:
They probably have a site license that allows them to distribute the software en masse.

And they probably have their server configured to accept download requests only from inside the uiuc.edu domain. So if you're a student at UIUC and are using one of their computers to download it, you're probably OK. You're probably not allowed to use the software for commercial purposes, or to distribute it to anyone else; and there may be other restrictions on what you can do with it.

If there is a direct download link and you didn't have to hack into anything to get access to it, then you're good to go, so don't worry about it.

Dw, the school is providing it to you.

I think "copyright" is the wrong term here. What you are really talking about is "licensing".

There is no question about the copyright of the software. Most likely it belongs to the company that wrote it. You don't get any "share" of the copyright by buying the software. What you do get is a license to use the software. The license will usually have some restrictions attached to it (e.g you can install it on as many PCs as you like, but you can only legally use use it on one PC at at anyone time).

IF UIUC have bought a license that allows all their students to download and use the software, no problem. As #4 and #5 say, if you didn't have to hack into anything to get it, then it's going to be UIUC's problem if they are violating their license agreement, not yours.

Note this is not the same situation as (possibly illegal) peer-to-peer "software exchange" sites, because in this case I don't expect there is any dispute about who actually owns the software license. The only possible issue is whether UIUC are violating the license agreement, and they would be very stupid if they are doing that intentionally.

Actually, students are required to buy the courseware for $25 dollars, so this was a mistake link on the their part. Furthermore, the teacher is thinking of giving everyone who used the free version (courseware 6) a 0 on the homework assignments.

Last edited:

Related to Is Downloading UIUC Mathematica Courseware Legal?

1. What is the legal status of using Mathematica at UIUC?

According to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Mathematica License Agreement, all students, faculty, and staff are authorized to use Mathematica for academic and research purposes. This license does not cover commercial or for-profit use.

2. Can I share my Mathematica license with others at UIUC?

No, the Mathematica license provided by UIUC is for individual use only and cannot be shared with others. Each user must obtain their own license.

3. Are there any restrictions on the use of Mathematica at UIUC?

Yes, the Mathematica license at UIUC is for non-commercial use only. This means that it cannot be used for any activities that generate profit or revenue. Additionally, the software cannot be used for any illegal or unethical activities.

4. What should I do if I have a question about the Mathematica license at UIUC?

If you have any questions or concerns about the Mathematica license at UIUC, you can contact the University of Illinois Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) for assistance.

5. Can I access Mathematica remotely while I am off-campus?

Yes, UIUC provides a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service that allows users to remotely access campus resources, including Mathematica. Please note that you must have a valid UIUC NetID and password to use the VPN service.