Is Every Rational Number Always a Ratio of Two Integers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
kuahji
Messages
390
Reaction score
2
Rewrite the following statement formally. Use variables and include both quantifiers [tex]\forall[/tex] and [tex]\exists[/tex] in your answer.

Statement: Every rational number can be written as a ratio of some two integers.

If I didn't have to use [tex]\exists[/tex] I'd write it as follows

[tex]\forall[/tex]rational numbers x, x is a ratio of two integers.

But I can't think of a way or any reason why I'd want to include the quantifier [tex]\exists[/tex].
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kuahji said:
Rewrite the following statement formally. Use variables and include both quantifiers [tex]\forall[/tex] and [tex]\exists[/tex] in your answer.

Statement: Every rational number can be written as a ratio of some two integers.

If I didn't have to use [tex]\exists[/tex] I'd write it as follows

[tex]\forall[/tex]rational numbers x, x is a ratio of two integers.

But I can't think of a way or any reason why I'd want to include the quantifier [tex]\exists[/tex].

You must use variables in your answer.
 
What does "x is a ratio of two integers" mean? That's where you need [itex]\exists[/itex].
 
Ok thanks, I rewrote it as
[tex]\forall[/tex] rational numbers x, [tex]\exists[/tex] a rational number y and a rational number z such that x=y/z.

One more question if anyone has time to help me with.

Rewrite the statement formally.
Statement: There is a program that gives the correct answer to every question that is posed to it.

So I rewrote it as
[tex]\exists[/tex] a program p such that [tex]\forall[/tex]questions q, p always answers q correctly.
Is this incorrectly because I have "correctly" as the final word?
The book shows the answer as
[tex]\exists[/tex] a program P such that [tex]\forall[/tex] questions Q posed to P, P gives the correct answer to Q.

I didn't know if these was some technicality that would make my answer incorrect as apposed to the book's answer.
 
It's mostly right except the original statement is that any rational number can be written as a ratio of 2 integers.

For the second one, the only real problem I see is that "always" is redundant.