1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Every rational number can be written in one way

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that every positive rational number x can be written in ONE way in form
    x=a1+ a2/2! + a3/3! + ..... + ak/k!
    where a1,a2,...,ak are integers and 0<=a1, 0<=a2<2,.... ,0<=ak<k
    I wrote my solution below. Please check if it is correct and rewrite it for me in a neater way. Thank you!

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

I proved by induction a1 > a2/2! > a3/3! > a4/4!>.... ak>k! when taking a1,a2,a3,..., ak not= 0 ( I started with 2 as base case since a1 has different interval from them). Can I prove it without induction since I don't use the term before?

Thus I notice that every fraction has a unique interval for a1,a2,a3,...,ak not = 0
    and when it is 0, the fraction is 0 and doesnt add up. Thus it is unique

I also need to prove that every rational number can be written in this form. I take x=p/q and I add up the fractions to get that q=k! and p=a1 k!+ a2 k!/2! + .... + ak .

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks to me like you can just construct it. For any rational number, x, let [itex]a_1[/itex] be the largest integer less than or equal to x. Then [itex]x- a_1< 1[/itex] so that [itex]2!(x- a_1)= 2(x- a_1< 2[/itex]. Let [itex]a_2[/itex] be the largest integer less than or equal to [itex]x- a_1[/itex], etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook