Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is external analog convertor really bad?

1. Mar 15, 2006 #1
    im planing on buying a new Video card..
    one only two digital output while the other one has an analog output and a digital one.

i got a convertor from digital to analog... but i suspect it'll lower the image quality?
    how bad do you think it'll be?
    (im having this problem because the one with only digital output has 15% more performance and they both cost about the same price... so my only drawback is image quality.... and i want to know how bad that drawback is)

what do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Get a video card with a digital output ONLY if you have a display device capable of digital input. Usually this is the case for some of the better LCDs in the market today. Seeing that you are tryin to put in a DAC, it wouldn't make much sense to buy the one with digital output.

Digital output is ideal because well... your screen image is created digitally, meaning that each pixel is assigned a value from 0 to 255 in three color planes: Red, green, blue (RGB). If converted to analog, this 'precise' information is lost. The entire purpose of digital output is to keep video, images or audio as lossless as possible until the very last moment.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?