Is F(x1, x2) = (x1, x2, 0) a linear transformation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jamin2112
Messages
973
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



My buddy was asking me this question. It's from his linear algebra homework.

F: R2 --> R3
F[(x1 x2)] = (x1 x2 0)

Homework Equations



I can't remember the definition of "linear transformation." Hopefully it's not too complicated.

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't think you have a vector with 2 rows be transformed into a vector with 3 rows. However, (x1 x2 0) really is just equal to (x1 x2), so we could have F(x)=Ix, where I is the identity matrix. (Right? I dunno. I haven't taken this class for quite some time)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To determine whether this is linear, your buddy needs to check whether it preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication.