Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Forehead Shape related to intelligence?

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    Hi, Do different shapes of forehead indicate different degrees of intelligence?
    Considering humans, Is there any relation between intelligence and forehead shape?

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2
    I've become more intelligent over the years, but I don't think my forehead has changed shape as a result.

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Google phrenology

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Microcephaly is an extreme case where it very clearly does.

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5
    Neanderthals had larger brains and more sloped foreheads than us.

7. Jun 27, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the general population, there is no such relationship.

8. Jun 27, 2010 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have heard conflicting reports. Some say people get wiser when their forehead extends, because brain cooling improves. Others say forehead extends in those wise, as an effect of brain overheating. In both cases there is an implied correlation between forehead size and intelligence. But that's size, not shape.

9. Jun 27, 2010 #8
    I disagree. In general, the closer an animal's forehead resembles a human's, the more intelligent it is. ;-)

10. Jun 27, 2010 #9
    I would argue that placement is more critical, as a direct relationship between distance of forehead from sphincter and intelligence.

;)

11. Jun 29, 2010 #10
    So there is no scientific evidence for the forehead-shape relation to intelligence.

I wonder how much intelligent they were.

Do you have some good links? If true, I wonder what specific part(s) of brain is (are) improving and increasing the size of the brain.

Not necessarily, you can find some intelligent animals whose foreheads is not shaped as humans (http://scienceray.com/biology/zoology/top-15-smartest-and-most-intelligent-animals/). Greats apes are the most intelligent, since, for instance, 99% of genes are identical between humans and chimpanzees.

- - - - -

I considered normal healthy people when I first asked my question.

- - - - -

What determines intelligence? Cortex area and thickness, amount of gray cells.... What more? Does the frontal lobe play a important role in intelligence?
    By 'intelligence' I mean the capacity to reason, understand, enjoy complexity...

12. Jun 29, 2010 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

13. Jun 29, 2010 #12
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook