Is frequency directly proportional to wavelength in sound velocity experiments?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
joyful_heart
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
please help! measuring the velocity of sound by an air column

hello, I'm new here and in desperate need of help.
I conducted an experiment to measure the velocity of sound by an air column.
The experiment didn't go very well. It was difficult for me to depict the change of sound. Anyway I have to prove the formula velocity=frequency x wavelength using my data. However due to difficulty with the experiment my results I believe are inaccurate. My question is ...is the frequency supposed to be directly proportional to the wavelength? Meaning when the frequency increases should the wavelength also increase? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
PLEASE HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional. When the wavelength goes up, the frequency goes down.
 


Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear that your experiment did not go as planned. Measuring the velocity of sound by an air column can be a challenging task, so it's understandable that you're having difficulties.

To answer your question, yes, frequency and wavelength are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength also increases. This relationship is described by the formula velocity = frequency x wavelength.

In order to accurately measure the velocity of sound, you will need to have accurate data for both frequency and wavelength. If your experiment did not produce accurate results, you may need to repeat the experiment and make sure that you have the proper equipment and techniques in place. Additionally, it's important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average to reduce the chances of any errors.

I would also suggest consulting with your instructor or a lab assistant for guidance and assistance in conducting the experiment. They can provide you with tips and techniques to ensure accurate results.
I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!