Is Grad-Level E&M a Risk for a Serious Physics Student?

• Courses
  • Thread starter yeshuamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student with three semesters left and has completed most of their physics core, except for quantum theory. They are aiming to enter a top graduate school and have received a B in E&M I and Classical Mechanics, but have recently received straight As, including in E&M II. They are considering taking a graduate-level E&M course to demonstrate their understanding of physics, but are unsure of the potential risks. They also ask for advice on dropping one of three 400 level courses, including Theoretical Astrophysics II, Ordinary Differential Equations II with Stability Theory, and Applied Partial Differential Equations. However, it is advised to discuss this issue with an academic advisor as individual circumstances and goals may vary.
yeshuamo
I am an undergraduate with 3 more semesters left and with the majority of my physics core complete, except for quantum theory. I'd like to give my best effort to entering a top graduate school, but I got B marks in E&M I and Classical Mechanics. This semester was a turnaround, with straight A's, including E&M II (which I loved.)

I think that getting an A in grad-level E&M could demonstrate that I know physics core well before entering a PhD program. Question is, how much would I risk getting a grade below an A with a good prof?

And if I do switch into the grad-level course, could you please suggest which of these 400 level courses I can drop as the most "useless" for a serious physics student?

- Theoretical Astrophysics II in the Astro department
- Ordinary Differential Equations II with Stability Theory
- Applied Partial Differential Equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeshuamo said:
I am an undergraduate with 3 more semesters left and with the majority of my physics core complete, except for quantum theory. I'd like to give my best effort to entering a top graduate school, but I got B marks in E&M I and Classical Mechanics. This semester was a turnaround, with straight A's, including E&M II (which I loved.)

I think that getting an A in grad-level E&M could demonstrate that I know physics core well before entering a PhD program. Question is, how much would I risk getting a grade below an A with a good prof?

And if I do switch into the grad-level course, could you please suggest which of these 400 level courses I can drop as the most "useless" for a serious physics student?

- Theoretical Astrophysics II in the Astro department
- Ordinary Differential Equations II with Stability Theory
- Applied Partial Differential Equations.

I will ask this same question as I've asked repeatedly to all the other posts of this type: Have you discussed this exact issue with your academic advisor?!

For some odd reason, members who post this type of question have often neglected to inform us if he/she (i) has talked to an academic advisor, (ii) if yes, what was the response, and (iii) if no, why not?

The reason for this is (i) we do not know how good of a student you are. We don't know if you are an "A"-averaged student, a "B"-averaged students, or if you are teetering on passing and failing. (ii) we don't know how strong of a competition or the caliber of the graduate students you will have in those graduate classes, and (iii) do you need to boost your GPA so that you can get into more competitive graduate schools?

These are the type of 2-way communications that you need to have with the person who will give you such advice that you are seeking.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I will ask this same question as I've asked repeatedly to all the other posts of this type: Have you discussed this exact issue with your academic advisor?!

For some odd reason, members who post this type of question have often neglected to inform us if he/she (i) has talked to an academic advisor, (ii) if yes, what was the response, and (iii) if no, why not?

The reason for this is (i) we do not know how good of a student you are. We don't know if you are an "A"-averaged student, a "B"-averaged students, or if you are teetering on passing and failing. (ii) we don't know how strong of a competition or the caliber of the graduate students you will have in those graduate classes, and (iii) do you need to boost your GPA so that you can get into more competitive graduate schools?

These are the type of 2-way communications that you need to have with the person who will give you such advice that you are seeking.

Zz.
Thanks, Zz. I got this idea after the end of the semester - so no, I have not discussed the question with my advisor.

If we rightfully set aside the question of my past and future GPA and aptitude, have you any input on the usefulness of the Astro and two math courses I listed above?

yeshuamo said:
Thanks, Zz. I got this idea after the end of the semester - so no, I have not discussed the question with my advisor.

If we rightfully set aside the question of my past and future GPA and aptitude, have you any input on the usefulness of the Astro and two math courses I listed above?

It will be irresponsible for me to offer such an advice, because (i) I don't know how strong your background is in taking those courses (ii) I don't know what you intend to do in graduate school (ii) I don't know how useful those courses are with what you are hoping to do.

Zz.

1. Is grad-level E&M a risk?

Grad-level E&M, or graduate-level electromagnetism, can pose a risk for certain individuals depending on their background knowledge and experience with the subject. It is a more advanced and complex topic compared to introductory level E&M, so it may require more time and effort to fully understand and grasp the concepts.

2. Who is most at risk when studying grad-level E&M?

Grad-level E&M can be challenging for anyone, but it may be especially difficult for students who do not have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics. It may also be more challenging for those who have not taken an introductory E&M course before.

3. How can I minimize the risks associated with grad-level E&M?

To minimize the risks associated with grad-level E&M, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic physics and mathematics concepts. It may also be helpful to review introductory E&M material before enrolling in a grad-level course. Seeking help from professors or tutors can also be beneficial in understanding the material.

4. Are there any benefits to studying grad-level E&M?

Despite the potential risks, studying grad-level E&M can have many benefits. It allows for a deeper understanding of electromagnetism and its applications, which can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications. It can also open up opportunities for further research and academic pursuits in related areas.

5. Is grad-level E&M worth the risk?

Whether or not grad-level E&M is worth the risk depends on the individual's personal goals and interests. If one is passionate about the subject and willing to put in the time and effort, the potential benefits may outweigh the risks. However, it is important to carefully consider one's own abilities and preparedness before taking on such a challenging course.