Is Gravitation by Thorne and Wheeler a technical GR textbook, and how difficult is it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book Gravitation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
i wonder, the book by kip thorne and john wheeler called gravitation, is it a technical textbook on gr? and on a scale of 1-5 (1-easy 5 extremely hard) how would you rate this book?
are there any other challenging textbooks on GR?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
neutrino, i too hope that someday i would have a spare time to read this monumental textbook. (that with the principia mathematica by russel and whitehead are hardcore texts in their respective fields).
 
Gravitation is the one that I studied, and I highly recommend. I have read Wald's book, and I don't think that it is as pedogagical as is Gravitation (though I have a slight bias).

Or you could look into PAM Dirac's "General Relativity", it's probably the hardest book I've read on General Relativity.
 
Wald's book is a tough nut, very terse and not very friendly, but it still has much material not found in other books.

I recently got Carroll's graduate text, and it's much more friendly than Wald. But I paid $70 for a used copy. :eek:

Can anyone claim to have read all of MTW? What a monster. Still a cool book to dip into now and then.
 
Daverz said:
Wald's book is a tough nut, very terse and not very friendly, but it still has much material not found in other books.

I find amusing what Wald said about the exercises in his book: ' ... and none (exercises) which are, in my opinion, inordinately difficult (i.e., I think I can solve them).'

This, from one of the world's leading experts on relativity!

I recently got Carroll's graduate text, and it's much more friendly than Wald. But I paid $70 for a used copy. :eek:

Chapter 9 is worth the price of admission.

Can anyone claim to have read all of MTW? What a monster.

Not me.

Still a cool book to dip into now and then.

It's sitting open on my desk as I type.