Is I=Mk^2 the Same as I=mr^2 in Physics Nomenclature?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SadPanda6022
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nomenclature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
SadPanda6022
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, quick question.

I got confused in some nomenclature between some books and wanted to clarify somehow. A book I have has I=Mk^2 as defining a radius of gyration. Is this the same as I-mr^2?

Terminology was just confusing me.Thanks guys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SadPanda6022 said:
A book I have has I=Mk^2 as defining a radius of gyration. Is this the same as I=mr^2?
It depends what r is supposed to be. Certainly
"I=Mk2, where M is mass, k is the radius of gyration and I is the moment of inertia about the mass centre"
is exactly the same as
"I=mr2, where m is mass, r is the radius of gyration and I is the moment of inertia about the mass centre".
But most writers reserve r to be a directly observable radius, such as the radius of a hoop or of a point mass in a circular orbit.