1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Intro to Java difficult without programing experience?

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    I was wondering if I would be able to handle Intro to Java if I go in without any programing experience. I have experience in Calculus up to vector calculus and differential equations, electricity and magnetism physics course, but no programming. :grumpy: You guys think I can handle it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're not suppose to have any programming experience to take Java. It's where you start!

4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    Yep at alot of highschoo/colleges you start intro to programming in Java.

Be lucky you don't go to MIT, i think their intro to programming is in scheme or lisp! or from what i heard anyways.

I also never understood this, but why do you need any type of math to do intro to programming/intermediate programming? I know all schools mainly require, calc 1, never understood why. It seems the only time you actually need math is if your doing graphics or scientific computations, has anyone actually taken a programming course where you actually used the math required?
    (not including computer graphics or any other core upper level programming course.)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  5. Apr 15, 2007 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think they require it so that the students have some sense how to solve problems.

6. Apr 15, 2007 #5
    Yea, Java is fine to learn with. It seems that the main reason they might require some advanced maths for programming is just like jasonrox said, they want to see if you can use logic to solve the problems...computer programs can work much like a math equation.

I started learning C, C++, some java, basic, as well as javascript and html when I was in middle school. I didn't have any math beyond maybe algebra 1 at the time, but I liked programming much more than math, because you could make the computer do cool things.

7. Apr 15, 2007 #6
    usahockey

I was the same way, at 14 I had very little knowledge of math but still could do college level programming but they wouldn't give me a credit for taking the course becuase I didn't meet the math requirement lol

8. Apr 15, 2007 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's because our education system is messed up.

9. Apr 16, 2007 #8
    We routinely use a lot of maths in our programming, but it isn't really a programming course, the title is computational physics, so it's not so much programming skills as using programs to solve physics problems. Hence the actual programming is fairly basic but the problems are quite involved.

10. Apr 16, 2007 #9

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I took a class in Java with no previous programming experience and was fine. I like Java because knowledge of it helped me pick up a little C and C++ quickly.

uuuugggghhhh........LISP......:yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?