Is it a Meteorite? Las Vegas Hiker Finds 81.7g Object

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Meteorite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
kolleamm
Messages
476
Reaction score
44
I was hiking today in the desert in Las Vegas and I came across this. It weighs about 81.7g and feels pretty heavy for its size which is about 1.85in across the longest distance.
What do you think it is?
 
Attachments
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 276
Astronomy news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
What do you think it is?

Greetings
Looking through the pic's and in particular #5 and #6 ( img 0143 and 0144)
My first thoughts are hematite or iron furnace slag. All the bubble holes and the style of flow that can be seen on those pic's
is the giveaway particularly for it being furnace slagcheers
Dave
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50, kolleamm and berkeman
davenn said:
Greetings
Looking through the pic's and in particular #5 and #6 ( img 0143 and 0144)
My first thoughts are hematite or iron furnace slag. All the bubble holes and the style of flow that can be seen on those pic's
is the giveaway particularly for it being furnace slagcheers
Dave
Thanks for the help! Well at least I learned something today lol
Also cool meteorites you got there!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
kolleamm said:
Thanks for the help! Well at least I learned something today lol
Also cool meteorites you got there!

You are welcome :smile:
meteorites ( and rocks minerals and fossil collecting are serious passions of mine for the last 50 yrs)
Meteorites mainly for the last 30 years

Always feel free to ask, I will help out in whatever way I can

Dave
 
davenn said:
Some examples of iron meteorites
(from my own collection)
I swear you are doing this to add to my temptations ! They are very exiting things.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: davenn
sophiecentaur said:
I swear you are doing this to add to my temptations ! They are very exiting things.

Give into it, there's a lot worse things you could be addicted to :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur