Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it acceptable to post a proof for checking on PF?

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    And if so, where?
    A lot of the times when I am studying a subject (Usually undergraduate upper-div mathematics) I get this gnawing feeling that either what I did was wrong or that there was some way to do the same thing much better and much more efficiently. Is PF an acceptable place to post these kinds of 'questions?'

It would include the topic/question and a proof of said topic/question ending with the conclusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it's fine, as long as it's not original research. Keep in mind that the harder it is to follow your arguments, the more likely it is that you will get no replies. So you should make it as easy as possible. Include the relevant definitions so we don't have to look them up.

If the theorem you're proving is an exercise from a book, or if it's an assignment given to you by a teacher, then you should use the calculus and beyond homework forum. If it's just your version of a standard theorem in a book, then you can use one of the math forums. Which one you should choose depends on the topic. There's a forum for linear and abstract algebra, one for topology and analysis, one for differential geometry,...

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Definitely! And be sure to ask for a lot of criticism on the validity of the argument and the writing of the proof. Both are important. And it is only by tough criticisms that you'll learn.

5. Aug 25, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the clarification guys, it's just kind of tough when you don't have anyone nearby to talk things out with (I'm self-studying atm).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook