Is it disturbing to wear clothing made from bugs and worms (silk)

• Thread starter land_of_ice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clothing
In summary, people wear silk when it is made from these worms and that it comes out of their bodies, which seems disturbing. There are clothing dyes made from crushed bugs, which seems pretty disturbing. When people wear snake skins and animal skins is it not disturbing that a lizard, or snakes actual skin is- touching - your - body? That is not ok, it's gross, but it seems like most people don't think that's the slightest bit not ok. So if they ripped a snakes skin off and rubbed it on their face they'd just think, oh, that's fine, nothing wrong with that, not weird or anything. Because that's the same thing as when they are wearing shoes of the animal skin
land_of_ice
This seems disturbing, does anyone else think so? People wear silk when it is made from these worms and that it comes out of their bodies http://bhimbros.com/images/silk_worm2.jpg
why would anyone want that sort of thing touching their skin?

And there are clothing dyes made from crushed bugs, which seems pretty disturbing.

Also, when people wear snake skins and animal skins is it not disturbing that a lizard, or snakes actual skin is- touching - your - body . That is not ok, it's gross, but it seems like most people don't think that's the slightest bit not ok.

So if they ripped a snakes skin off and rubbed it on their face they'd just think, oh, that's fine, nothing wrong with that, not weird or anything.
Because that's the same thing as when they are wearing shoes of the animal skin or a jacket etc.How can this be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's just you, really.

Do you eat honey? That's basically bug vomit, but it's delicious. That's far more "disturbing" than wearing silk.

Yeah, I also wonder how on Earth people fall in love with a human being who's coming out of his/her mother's body and just think what human beings are made of at 1st place...:yuck:

Lisa! said:
Yeah, I also wonder how on Earth people fall in love with a human being who's coming out of his/her mother's body and just think what human beings are made of at 1st place...:yuck:
Ahahaha

- Milk
- Cheese
- Caviar
- That list goes on and on.

So if they ripped a snakes skin off and rubbed it on their face they'd just think, oh, that's fine, nothing wrong with that, not weird or anything.
Because that's the same thing as when they are wearing shoes of the animal skin or a jacket etc.
It doesn't matter what you rub on someone's face, they're never going to be ok with it.
Snakes aren't gross. I would rub a snake's skin on my face. It's not like they're covered in mucous.

Well, all I can say is that if we had not used animal skins for clothing and protection I question how long our species would have survived(and/or migrated to colder climates)

And think about early shoes. Dried animal leather. Used even today. Very tough.

I rub silk on my naked body.

Do you realize that in your body you have over 40 trillion cells that are not yours? You have 35 trillion cells with your DNA, and about 40 trillion cells that are bacteria, viruses, etc. Not to mention that there are bacteria that help you get vitamins and break down food for you. There is probably a worm swimming around in your body from poorly cooked pork, or some kind of a parasite just casually humping another parasite in your intestine right now. Wearing dead silk is least bit of your concerns :biggrin:

No man is an island. You are part of this ecosystem, get used to it and learn to coexist with all living creatures, even just so you can kill them and eat their delicious brain :tongue2:
(although that would probably expose you to a prion disease or some kinda Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease)

Speaking of maggots, zombie caterpillar video comes to mind, but on a brighter note, do you know how delicious a cooked maggot is? Its like a scallop. And a fried grasshopper is just like a cracker, a bit sour.

OH OH.. Land of ice you are probably a chick, so this tidbit you will find fascinatingly awesome. You know that collagen that you find in your cosmetics? Well it comes from dead Chinese prisoners. When the prisoner is executed, his body is used to make cosmetics. Look it up, its a classic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/sep/13/medicineandhealth.china

Last edited:
How about potatoes. Those ugly things are dug up out of the ground.

I'm not even going to talk about cheese and yogurt.

land_of_ice----

After these posts, are you now thinking about becoming a vegan and joining PETA?

"tongue" - urghh I'm not eating anything that came out of animals mouth - fetch me an egg!

Jack21222 said:
I think it's just you, really.

Do you eat honey? That's basically bug vomit, but it's delicious. That's far more "disturbing" than wearing silk.

I really didn't need to read that while drinking my morning tea with my ritual teaspoon of honey in it.

What I find fascinating is that goats (who will try to eat anything) produce the finest and most expensive wool-cashmere.

Land Of Ice, did you know that you have much worse things living on your body?

Here is a picture of eyelash mites. Theses mites live in hair follicles all over your body. The long thin thing is your hair, the other things are the mites which have burrowed face down into your hair follicle.

eyelashmitesqw1.jpg

Here is the whole mite.

eyelasmitesq3.jpg

hmmm..

maybe those are what make-up companies put in their mascara to make the lashes look longer and thicker

You have 35 trillion cells with your DNA, and about 40 trillion cells that are bacteria, viruses, etc.
There's more cells of bacteria and viruses in me than the cells that actually make up my flesh? That doesn't make sense. So if they all suddenly disappeared, I would be half the size I am now?
The long thin thing is your hair, the other things are the mites which have burrowed face down into your hair follicle.
Can you see them? Because in that picture, they're bigger than the actual hair and I can see an individual hair.

you are only about 40 pounds worth of cells, rest is water, stuff, and other cells

Everything good is something dead. Or still alive.

Never heard of eyelash mites before! That's my new thing learned for the day :)

cronxeh said:
you are only about 40 pounds worth of cells, rest is water, stuff, and other cells

Not counting the water inside of cells?

its hard to guesstimate. liver doesn't hold much water, and blood is considered tissue, so water in plasma is part of blood as a whole. If you dehydrated body completely then its still bones that weigh the most.

leroyjenkens said:
There's more cells of bacteria and viruses in me than the cells that actually make up my flesh? That doesn't make sense. So if they all suddenly disappeared, I would be half the size I am now?
It's now thought you have 10x as many bacteria cells than human ones - but they aren't very big so only a few % of your body mass.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ns-carry-more-bacterial-cells-than-human-ones

Evo said:
Ewwww, on tv, they showed a homeless man that had walked into the er, and when they pulled his boot off, it was nothing but writhing maggots from the toes to above the ankle.

It is really gross, but certain of the species of ugly little squirmers eat only dead flesh and create an antibiotic that may soon be used to treat MRSA.

in the nose ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AjU20h5UE

1. Is wearing clothing made from bugs and worms considered ethical?

The ethical implications of using insect-derived fabrics such as silk are a topic of ongoing debate. While some argue that the harvesting of these materials is inhumane, others argue that it is a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional fabrics.

2. How is silk made from bugs and worms?

Silk is made from the cocoons of silkworms, which are produced by the larvae of the domesticated silk moth. The cocoons are harvested and then processed to create the silk fibers used in fabric production.

3. Is clothing made from bugs and worms comfortable to wear?

Silk, which is made from the protein fibers produced by insects, is known for its soft and smooth texture. Many people find clothing made from silk to be comfortable to wear, but it ultimately depends on personal preferences.

4. Are there any health risks associated with wearing clothing made from bugs and worms?

There are no known health risks associated with wearing clothing made from silk or other insect-derived fabrics. In fact, silk is hypoallergenic and can be beneficial for people with sensitive skin.

5. Is clothing made from bugs and worms more sustainable than other fabrics?

Silk and other insect-derived fabrics are considered to be more sustainable than traditional fabrics such as cotton or polyester. Insects require less water and resources to produce, making them a more environmentally friendly option for clothing production.