Is it just me, or has LaTeX stopped working?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, MathJax released a new version 2.2 and it can take a few hours for the new files to propagate out to all the servers on the CDN. During that process, some files will have changed to the new version and some will be at the old version, and that can cause processing errors. The propagation should not take more than a few hours, so the problem should clear up soon. If the problem doesn't go away by the end of the day, let us know.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I haven't been able to see any LaTeX for about an hour. I tried to reboot my computer and even tried internet explorer (instead of firefox), but all I see is plain text.
$$\LaTeX$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's also stopped rendering for me

##E = -mu^{a}\xi_{a}##

FireFox also

Clear your browser cache. They just released 2.2 and there is likely a mix of files.

We released a version 2.2 of MathJax last night, and it takes a few hours for the new files to propagate out to all the servers on the CDN. During that process, some files will have changed to the new version and some will be at the old version, and that can cause processing errors as one part of the MathJax may be using the new code and another may be using the old code. The propagation should not take more than a few hours, so the problem should clear up soon. If the problem doesn't go away by the end of the day, let us know.

I have the same problem - I thought it might have been because I was on an IPad, but I have moved to my laptop and the LaTeX is still not processing - on IE and Chrome I tried.

So that's what the problem is - I noticed it stopped working about 4 hours ago, but I wasn't sure if it just me. As it wasn't working neither here nor at the other forum (CF), I decided to wait before trying to correct/investigate.

It looks fine now. I didn't do anything to make it work (like clear the cache).

Greg has temporarily patched the forum. That's what MathJax suggests at their site.

Looks like MathJax is back to normal - at least for me. I have removed the 2-2 patch at CF and LaTeX displays OK.

Borek said:
Looks like MathJax is back to normal - at least for me. I have removed the 2-2 patch at CF and LaTeX displays OK.

Good news! I'll use the general "latest" link soon.

1. Why is LaTeX suddenly not working?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a recent update or change in your LaTeX software, a compatibility issue with other programs or operating systems, or an error in your code.

2. How can I fix LaTeX not working?

First, try restarting your computer and checking for any updates or changes in your LaTeX software. If the issue persists, try running your code on a different computer or using a different LaTeX software. If the problem is with your code, double check for any errors or syntax mistakes.

3. Is LaTeX not working a common issue?

It is not uncommon for LaTeX to encounter issues, especially with updates or compatibility problems. However, if the problem persists, it may be worth reaching out to other LaTeX users or forums for assistance.

4. Can I recover my work if LaTeX is not working?

If your LaTeX software crashes or stops working, there is a chance that your work may be lost. It is always a good idea to save your work frequently, and consider using a version control system to keep track of your changes.

5. How can I prevent LaTeX from not working in the future?

Regularly updating your LaTeX software and keeping track of any changes or updates is a good way to prevent future issues. Additionally, double checking your code for errors and saving your work frequently can help prevent any unexpected crashes or errors.