Is it possible for one to not have wisdom teeth?

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teeth
In summary, Kitty thinks that it is possible to not have wisdom teeth, and that they can be seen on an x-ray. She also thinks that it is possible to not have all four of them, and that she has never had any problems since having them removed.
misskitty
Is it possible for one to not have wisdom teeth? And what does it mean for them to be impacted? Why are they called wisdom teeth in the first place anyway? Just a interesting quiery I've been thinking about. :)

~Kitty

Biology news on Phys.org
Impacted means they grow in the jaw, instead of coming out ("erupting"). I was told as a child that they are called wisdom teeth because they appear around the "age of wisdom" - late teens to early twenties, when human beings start to show some sense.

Not to be mean or anything...but I don't know many people around their late teens that are very wise. :rolseye:

A tooth growing in the jaw sounds painful. I thought impacted just meant, the teeth fail to emerge fully into their expected position.

Speaking of wisdom teeth.. I had all 4 of mine pulled at one time. Two were impacted. For anyone else who has gone through this can attest, over the next few weeks it is tough to eat popcorn. :tongue2: They get stuck where the teeth were ..

Well, the impacted part is already covered by Ouabache. Usually impacted wisdom teeth become a problem because they are growing toward your other molars and can damage the other teeth and cause pain if not removed.

It is possible to not have wisdom teeth or to not have all four, but still have some of them.

How do you know if you don't have wisdom teeth? Can they see them on an x-ray?

~Kitty

yes, you can see them on x-ray

When I went to get my wisdom teeth removed the dentist asked me why I wanted to do that. I told him that I thought having them could cause some sort of problem. He told me that it is possible but that's the time to get them out. I asked why other dentists tell people to get them out even if there aren't any existing problems. He said "that's a scam other dentists run."

I still have them and I've never had any problems. I wonder what percentage of people would ever have any problems with them?

1. Can some people be born without wisdom teeth?

Yes, it is possible for some people to be born without wisdom teeth. This is known as agenesis, and it occurs in about 35% of the population. It is believed to be a genetic trait, so if your parents or siblings do not have wisdom teeth, it is more likely that you will also not have them.

2. Why do some people have wisdom teeth while others don't?

The presence or absence of wisdom teeth is largely determined by genetics. Some people have evolved to have smaller jaws, making it difficult for wisdom teeth to erupt properly. Additionally, our diets have changed over time, and our jaws have become smaller as a result. This leaves less room for wisdom teeth to grow in.

3. Is it possible for wisdom teeth to never cause any problems?

Yes, some people may have wisdom teeth that grow in without any issues. However, this is not always the case. Wisdom teeth can cause crowding, impaction, infection, and other complications. It is important to monitor the growth and development of wisdom teeth and consult with a dentist if any problems arise.

4. Can wisdom teeth grow in at any age?

Wisdom teeth typically begin to develop in the late teenage years or early twenties. However, they can continue to grow in later in life. This is why it is important to monitor their growth and consult with a dentist if any issues arise.

5. Is it necessary to have wisdom teeth removed if they are not causing any problems?

In most cases, dentists will recommend removing wisdom teeth even if they are not causing any problems. This is because they can potentially cause problems in the future, and it is easier to remove them before they fully develop. However, if the wisdom teeth are healthy and properly aligned, it may not be necessary to remove them.