Is it possible to find the range of this function?

In summary: I don't know what you mean by any of the above. In summary, the domain and range of the function is the set of all y-values that are less than or equal to 10-4 sqrt6 or greater than or equal to 10+4 sqrt6.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
Find the domain and range of following function: ##f(x) =\frac {x^2 -1} {x-5}##.
Relevant Equations
None
I can get the domain, but getting the range seems impossible.

Domain
$$x-5=0$$
$$x =5$$
$$\therefore x \in (- \infty ,5) \cup (5, + \infty)$$

Range
 I can simplify the function to the form below, but I don't know how to go from there.

$$ f(x)= x + 5 + \frac {1}{x-5}$$

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
vcsharp2003 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the domain and range of following function: ##f(x) =\frac {x^2 -1} {x-5}##.
Relevant Equations:: None

I can get the domain, but getting the range seems impossible.

Domain
$$x-5=0$$
$$x =5$$
$$\therefore x \in (- \infty ,5) \cup (5, + \infty)$$

Range
 I can simplify the function to the form below, but I don't know how to go from there.

$$ f(x)= x + 5 + \frac {1}{x-5}$$
For the equation ##\frac{x^2 - 1}{x - 5} = y##, solve for x. When you do this, using the Quadratic Formula, the expression inside the radical must be greater than or equal to zero. That will give you the range; i.e., the possible values for y.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and vcsharp2003
Mark44 said:
For the equation ##\frac{x^2 - 1}{x - 5} = y##, solve for x. When you do this, using the Quadratic Formula, the expression inside the radical must be greater than or equal to zero. That will give you the range.
I get ##y \le 10 - 4 \sqrt {6}## or ##y \ge 10 + 4 \sqrt 6##. I need to double check.

My initial reaction after looking at the simplified function form in my attempted answer was ## y \in (-\infty, 10) \cup (10, + \infty)##

vcsharp2003 said:
I get ##y \ge 10 - 4 \sqrt {6}##. I need to double check.
In my work involving the expression under the radical, I got this:
##(y - 10)^2 \ge 4\sqrt 6##

There are two sets that represent the range. What you showed isn't too far off, but isn't either of them, so yes, double-check your work.

vcsharp2003 said:
My initial reaction after looking at the simplified function form in my attempted answer was ## y \in (-\infty, 10) \cup (10, + \infty)##
No, that's not the range.

Likes vcsharp2003
I get that it is equal to ##x+5+\frac{24}{x-5}##.

Likes vcsharp2003
Mark44 said:
In my work involving the expression under the radical, I got this:
##(y - 10)^2 \ge 4\sqrt 6##

There are two sets that represent the range. What you showed isn't too far off, but isn't either of them, so yes, double-check your work.

No, that's not the range.

It seems I have it correct now as mentioned in edited post#3.

FactChecker said:
I don't see how that helps in finding the range. This just shows that there is an oblique asymptote of y = x + 5.

FactChecker said:
Yes, you're correct. My mistake in simplifying the original function.

vcsharp2003 said:
It seems I have it correct now as mentioned in edited post#3.
Yes, that's what I get. So the range is the set ##\{y | y \le 10 - 4\sqrt 6 \cup y \ge 10 + 4\sqrt 6\}##.

Likes vcsharp2003
Mark44 said:
Yes, that's what I get. So the range is the set ##\{y | y \le 10 - 4\sqrt 6 \cup y \ge 10 + 4\sqrt 6\}##.

That was a great solution. Thank you for showing me the correct way to solving such difficult problems.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
Mark44 said:

If we had something like ##f(x) = \frac {x-1}{x+2}##, then we couldn't use the approach mentioned in posted question. I am wondering how we could determine range in this case. I guess we would solve the equation ## \frac {x-1}{x+2} = y## for ##x## and then use the fact that ##x \neq -2## to get excluded values of ##y##.

Likes scottdave
Mark44 said:
I don't see how that helps in finding the range. This just shows that there is an oblique asymptote of y = x + 5.
It changes the values of the function, so it changes the range.
The solution you got did not use this result (either the correct one or the incorrect one), so it was not relevant to your answer.

FactChecker said:
It changes the values of the function, so it changes the range.
The solution you got did not use this result (either the correct one or the incorrect one), so it was not relevant to your answer.
I don't know what you mean by any of the above. Your work merely rewrites the given equation as a first-degree polynomial plus a rational function. All this does is to show the long-term behavior (oblique asymptote of y = x + 5) and a vertical asymptote (the line x = 5).
Mark44 said:
The set above gives the range. One can verify this by looking at a graph on wolframalpha.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
Mark44 said:
I don't know what you mean by any of the above.
If you had used the incorrect version to determine the range, it would have been wrong. You did not use this form at all, so it was not relevant to your answer.
Clearly, if you use the wrong function, you are likely to get the wrong range.

FactChecker said:
If you had used the incorrect version to determine the range, it would have been wrong. You did not use this form at all, so it was not relevant to your answer.
Clearly, if you use the wrong function, you are likely to get the wrong range.
I still don't understand what you're trying to say.
The given problem is
Find the domain and range of following function: ##f(x) =\frac {x^2 -1} {x-5}##.

If you're saying that I made a mistake somewhere, please show me what it was.

What I'm saying, is that ##f(x) =\frac {x^2 -1} {x-5}## and ##f(x) = x + 5 + \frac {24}{x - 5}## are equivalent. The latter form merely gives the oblique and vertical asymptotes, but not the range.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I still don't understand what you're trying to say.
The given problem is

If you're saying that I made a mistake somewhere, please show me what it was.
No. Everything you did was fine.
I wrote my reply based on the original hand-written post when I saw that the calculation was wrong. That hand-written version of the original was later removed and all the conversation was not shown in that tab. It wasn't until I got around to posting my correction that it said the post was removed and I went to the new post to put my correction in. I didn't notice all the intermediate posts that I had missed until later.
Mark44 said:
What I'm saying, is that ##f(x) =\frac {x^2 -1} {x-5}## and ##f(x) = x + 5 + \frac {24}{x - 5}## are equivalent. The latter form merely gives the oblique and vertical asymptotes, but not the range.
It is equal to the original function. If you use it to determine the range, it gives the range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes SammyS
FactChecker said:
I wrote my reply based on the original hand-written post when I saw that the calculation was wrong. That hand-written version of the original was later removed and all the conversation was not shown in that tab.
Yeah, the OP's original thread was deleted so that he could re-post using LaTeX. It sounds like you still had a copy of the original thread open for a while... :smile:

Likes FactChecker
Regarding your other question ...
vcsharp2003 said:
If we had something like ##f(x) = \frac {x-1}{x+2}##, then we couldn't use the approach mentioned in posted question. I am wondering how we could determine range in this case. I guess we would solve the equation ## \frac {x-1}{x+2} = y## for ##x## and then use the fact that ##x \neq -2## to get excluded values of ##y##.
Yes, same technique to find the range: solve the equation ##y = \frac{x - 1}{x + 2}## for x. Aside from a vertical asymptote of x = -2, there is also a horizontal asymptote. That asymptote has an impact on the range.

Likes vcsharp2003
berkeman said:
Yeah, the OP's original thread was deleted so that he could re-post using LaTeX. It sounds like you still had a copy of the original thread open for a while... :smile:
Yes. I was really surprised that nobody had answered in all that time.
They were answering on the new thread. :-)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes berkeman
Mark44 said:
I deduced the shape of the graph by seeing the function as the sum of ##y=x+5## and ##y=24/(x-5)##, so there's a local minimum on the ##x>5## branch and a local maximum on the ##x<5## branch. Then I used calculus to find the local extrema.

Likes vcsharp2003
Write [tex]
y = \frac{x^2 - 1}{x - 5} = \frac{(x - 5 + 5)^2 - 1}{x - 5} = x - 5 + \frac{24}{x-5} + 10.[/tex] Now for [itex]x > 5[/itex] set [itex]x = 5 + \sqrt{24}e^t = 5 + 2\sqrt{6}e^{t}[/itex] to get [tex]
\begin{split}
y &= 2\sqrt{6}(e^t + e^{-t}) + 10 \\
&=10 + 4\sqrt{6}\cosh t \\
&\geq 10 + 4\sqrt{6}. \end{split}[/tex] For [itex]x < 5[/itex] instead set [itex]x = 5 - 2\sqrt{6}e^t[/itex] to get [tex]\begin{split}
y &= 10 - 4\sqrt{6}\cosh t \\
&\leq 10 - 4\sqrt{6}.\end{split}[/tex]

Likes WWGD, lurflurf and FactChecker
@pasmith
That's a very interesting parametrization .

Likes FactChecker
SammyS said:
That's a very interesting parametrization .

The identities [tex]\left.\begin{split}
|x| + a|x|^{-1} &\equiv 2\sqrt{a}\cosh(\ln (|x|/\sqrt{a})), \\
|x| - a|x|^{-1} &\equiv 2\sqrt{a}\sinh(\ln (|x|/\sqrt{a})),
\end{split}\right\} \quad a > 0, x \neq 0[/tex] are occasionally useful.

1. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values that the function can produce. It represents the vertical values on a graph and is also known as the "y-values".

2. How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you can graph the function and observe the vertical values on the graph. Another method is to algebraically solve for the output values by plugging in different input values and recording the corresponding outputs.

3. Is it always possible to find the range of a function?

Yes, it is always possible to find the range of a function. However, some functions may have an infinite range, meaning the output values can go on forever in one direction or both directions.

4. Can the range of a function be negative?

Yes, the range of a function can include negative values. It all depends on the nature of the function and the input values that are being used.

5. How does the domain of a function relate to its range?

The domain and range of a function are closely related. The domain represents the set of all possible input values, while the range represents the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain and range are like the "x" and "y" coordinates on a graph, respectively.