Is it Possible to Flash Freeze the Human Brain and Send it into Space?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Chase
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I've seen online that you can get a handful of your ashes sent into space for a hefty fee1 and it got me thinking... Would it be possible when dead to flash freeze the brain and send it up into space in a radiation proof container and just allow it to travel through space like the voyagers do?

Or would it eventually melt and decay ect? The reason I ask is because when you're dead, your dead as far as we know so I thought what is there to lose if someone wanted to send their brain into space and who knows, in a billion years an alien race might find it, defrost it without damaging it and somehow restore it or transfer it's memories onto a computer or something.

Obviously this seems somewhat farfetched and probably impossible but I thought I was ask why this would or wouldn't be possible. The biggest concern is the brain defrosting over time.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Borek said:
What is the temperature in space?

~2.7K so I'm guessing it won't melt but is 2.7K cold enough so that decay won't occur?
 
Chase said:
~2.7K so I'm guessing it won't melt but is 2.7K cold enough so that decay won't occur?

Yes, what you have to worry about is sublimation.