Is it possible to repackage carbonated drinks at home?

• Thread starter KTdrinks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transferring a carbonated drink into smaller containers while maintaining its fizz for an extended period of time. The two questions raised involve the use of CO2 to recreate an equilibrium and the effect of leaving a small empty space in the container. The suggestion is made to refrigerate the drink and containers before pouring to minimize gas escaping. It is also advised to let large bottles settle in the fridge before opening to prevent excess gas from forming.
KTdrinks
Hi I have 2 questions, hope someone can help me.
I wish to take a brand new carbonated drink, open it and pour it immediately in several other small containers. I know when I do that I start letting the CO2 go away, but I want to keep whatever fizz is left for several weeks.

Q1 : Is it possible to reflush with C02 the top of my container in order to recreate the C02 equilibrium above the surface of the drink and then close as tight as possible? What could be the shelf life of my new repacked drink then? (given the hypothesis that my new container has the same CO2 impermeability properties as the original bottle)

Q2 : Actually, if I refill my new container leaving a very small "empty" volume above the surface then close as tight as possible, will the escaping C02 recreate this equilibrium protection above the surface and give me a good remaining shelf life for my product.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you refrigerate the drink and empty containers to be as cold as possible (just short of freezing) you should be able to minimize the gas that comes out of solution. It will soon refill the space below the cap. It is better to pour with laminar flow than let it go glug-glug-glug as the shaking and turbulence encourages dissolved gas to form bubbles.

Let the crates of big bottles stand in the fridge for 48 hours to settle after transportation before uncapping them, as jarring is no different to vigorously shaking a sealed bottle before handing it to an unsuspecting thirsty drinker.

Awesome, Thanks for your reply. I will try this tomorrow.

1. Can I use any type of container to repackage carbonated drinks at home?

Yes, you can use any type of airtight container to repackage carbonated drinks at home. However, it is recommended to use PET plastic bottles or glass bottles with screw caps to ensure the preservation of the carbonation.

2. Is it safe to repackage carbonated drinks at home?

As long as the containers and equipment used are clean and sanitized, it is generally safe to repackage carbonated drinks at home. It is also important to follow proper food handling and storage guidelines to prevent contamination.

3. How do I prevent carbonated drinks from losing their fizz when repackaging them at home?

To prevent carbonated drinks from losing their fizz, it is important to minimize exposure to air as much as possible. This can be achieved by using a funnel to transfer the drink into the container and closing the lid tightly immediately afterwards.

4. Can I add other ingredients to carbonated drinks when repackaging them at home?

Yes, you can add other ingredients to carbonated drinks when repackaging them at home. However, it is important to make sure that the added ingredients are safe to consume and will not react with the carbonation in the drink.

5. How long can repackaged carbonated drinks last before going flat?

The shelf life of repackaged carbonated drinks varies depending on the type of container used and storage conditions. Generally, they can last up to a few days to a week if kept in the refrigerator. However, it is best to consume them within 24 hours for optimal carbonation.