Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to repackage carbonated drinks at home?

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    Hi I have 2 questions, hope someone can help me.
    I wish to take a brand new carbonated drink, open it and pour it immediately in several other small containers. I know when I do that I start letting the co2 go away, but I want to keep whatever fizz is left for several weeks.

Q1 : Is it possible to reflush with C02 the top of my container in order to recreate the C02 equilibrium above the surface of the drink and then close as tight as possible? What could be the shelf life of my new repacked drink then? (given the hypothesis that my new container has the same co2 impermeability properties as the original bottle)

Q2 : Actually, if I refill my new container leaving a very small "empty" volume above the surface then close as tight as possible, will the escaping C02 recreate this equilibrium protection above the surface and give me a good remaining shelf life for my product.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you refrigerate the drink and empty containers to be as cold as possible (just short of freezing) you should be able to minimize the gas that comes out of solution. It will soon refill the space below the cap. It is better to pour with laminar flow than let it go glug-glug-glug as the shaking and turbulence encourages dissolved gas to form bubbles.

Let the crates of big bottles stand in the fridge for 48 hours to settle after transportation before uncapping them, as jarring is no different to vigorously shaking a sealed bottle before handing it to an unsuspecting thirsty drinker.

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3
    Awesome, Thanks for your reply. I will try this tomorrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook