Is it possible to take grad math courses in a PhD physics program?

In summary: In that case, it's up to your supervisor/supervisory committee to decide whether they think you're getting enough out of the program.
Pendulum Swing
Program?

I am an Australian student, may think about studying in America (saw video of Andrew Dottson mentioning it), in the future. Is it possible to take grad maths courses, e.g. algebraic topology/geometry, complex analysis, representation-theory/lie-groups, PDEs, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, algebra courses, more geometry/topology courses, ..., etc

Thanks,

Pendulum Swing

Physics news on Phys.org
Pendulum Swing said:
Program?

I am an Australian student, may think about studying in America (saw video of Andrew Dottson mentioning it), in the future. Is it possible to take grad maths courses, e.g. algebraic topology/geometry, complex analysis, representation-theory/lie-groups, PDEs, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, algebra courses, more geometry/topology courses, ..., etc

Thanks,

Pendulum Swing
That WOULD BE the point.

I did just that. Then I switched to applied math.

Likes Pendulum Swing
Once you meet the standard coursework requirements of your PhD program, you more-or-less have the freedom to take any additional courses you want, provided (i) you're qualified to take them, (ii) your supervisor/supervisory committee is okay with it, and (iii) you have time to fit them in. For courses outside your department you will likely have to get permission to take them, but in my experience it's rare for interested and well-motivated students to be denied.

When I was a grad student in physics about 40 years ago at the U of Michigan, we were required to take at least two "cognate courses" outside the physics department. Most of us (including me) chose math courses. In my case they were complex analysis and intermediate differential equations.

Usually a class or two is not a problem, although it depends on the department's policies (which usually depend on who and how tuition in these classes is paid for). But your list contains at least eleven classes. That is going to be a harder sell, unless you are paying for everything out of pocket.

1. Can I take graduate math courses as part of a PhD program in physics?

Yes, it is possible to take graduate math courses as part of a PhD program in physics. Many physics PhD programs require students to take a certain number of math courses as part of their curriculum.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take grad math courses in a PhD physics program?

While a strong background in math is helpful, it is not always necessary to take grad math courses in a PhD physics program. Some programs may offer introductory math courses for students who need to strengthen their math skills before taking more advanced courses.

3. Will taking grad math courses in a PhD physics program be beneficial for my research?

Yes, taking grad math courses can be beneficial for your research in physics. Many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism, rely heavily on mathematical concepts. By taking grad math courses, you will have a better understanding of these concepts and be able to apply them to your research.

4. Can I take grad math courses as electives in a PhD physics program?

Yes, many PhD physics programs allow students to take grad math courses as electives. This can be a great way to broaden your knowledge and skills in both math and physics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking grad math courses in a PhD physics program?

The prerequisites for grad math courses in a PhD physics program may vary depending on the specific course and program. However, it is common for students to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before taking grad math courses. It is important to check with your program advisor for specific requirements.