Is it the metal in my above balanced equation ?

• Thread starter Starrrrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the conversation discusses a reaction between metals and HCl to form salts of general formula MCl2, and the resulting solution being evaporated to dryness. In the second part, the atomic number and name of the metal being used is questioned. The attempt at a solution involves using the symbol Me instead of a specific metal, and calculating the number of moles present. The mass of the moles of MgCl2 is used to identify the metal.
Starrrrr

Homework Statement

Part one : A number of metals react with HCl to form salts of general formula MCl2.
Write a balanced chemical equation for such a reaction.

After a piece of one of these metals had reacted completely with the acid in 55.8 cm3 of 1.24M HCl, the resulting solution, which conducted electricity, was evaporated to dryness. The residue had a mass of 4.72g.

Part Two:
Part two: What is the atomic number and name of the metal?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part one I did : Mg+2HCL>MgCl2+H2

Then for part two is it the metal in my above balanced equation ? Simple yes or no answer

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Starrrrr said:
55.8 cm3 of 1.24M HCl,
Starrrrr said:
residue had a mass of 4.72g.
How many moles?

Bystander said:
How many moles?
H+=0.0692 moles/L and Mg=0.0346 moles

Can you show your work?

Starrrrr said:
So for part one I did : Mg+2HCL>MgCl2+H2

It would be better to use symbol Me (as in generic Metal) than Mg - at this stage you don't know the identity of the metal.

Starrrrr said:
Mg=0.0346 moles

What is the mass of 0.0346 moles of MgCl2? Does it confirm the identity of the metal?

1. What is the purpose of balancing an equation?

Balancing an equation ensures that the same number of atoms of each element are present on both the reactant and product sides, making it a more accurate representation of a chemical reaction.

2. How do you know if the equation is balanced?

An equation is balanced when the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element on the product side.

3. Why is it important to include the state of matter for each reactant and product?

The state of matter indicates the physical state of the reactants and products, such as solid, liquid, gas, or aqueous solution. This information is important for understanding the reaction conditions and predicting the products of the reaction.

4. Can an equation be balanced without changing the chemical formula of the reactants and products?

Yes, an equation can be balanced by adjusting the coefficients in front of each compound without changing the chemical formula of the reactants and products. However, it may not always be possible to balance an equation without changing the formulas.

5. Is it necessary to balance an equation for a chemical reaction to occur?

No, balancing an equation is not necessary for a chemical reaction to occur. However, a balanced equation is a more accurate representation of the reaction and helps to predict the amount of product that will be formed.