1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it worth it to stay another year for BS/MS?

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    Is it worth it to stay an extra year and get a dual degree in Applied Mathematics? I am currently unsure if I want to do mathematics or applied mathematics Ph.D, i'm currently an undergrad double major in applied math and pure math. my school, which is a top 30 ranked grad school according to one of those lists posted here, allows me to get a masters in 1 year. should i go for the masters and stay a 5th year or just move onto Ph.D full time?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2
    my question is are you strong enough to endure everthing in 5 fives ? :biggrin:
    it depends on ur choice, what you choose as your dream profession. I personally don't like fulltime like that if I am not first finacially supported to do so, a lot of things will come a long the way during 5 years, things always not just happen as what we be expecting.
    Jobs payd the same salary for phd and master, but if u have one and u could be a teacher in a college, for ecample, u will 'sound' more valueable than master.
    Also, in futere, it can be aticket to do a postdctor if u like mathemcatics research, though i vnever heard of a postdoctor in the field. thats what i know all about doctor degree

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?