Is it worth waitlisting for a popular physics course with a great professor?

In summary, the student is considering whether to waitlist for a physics course that is rarely offered. There are 2 options for professors, but the student is only able to register for one. The student is considering whether to go for the ideal or notorious professor. If the student waitslist, they have a good chance of getting in. However, if they just show up they might not be allowed to stay. The student recommends trying for an override.
QuarkCharmer
I'm signing up for a physics course that is rarely offered, and I have 2 choices for professors.

One is ideal, great teacher, class is waitlisted.

The other is notorious for being difficult, but really knows his stuff.

There are 3 people on the waitlist, and I can only register for one of the classes. Think it's worth getting waitlisted in hopes I can get in? I'm going to talk to the professor today if I can track him down and try to get in, or ask the likelihood of being allowed to stay if I just show up. What would you do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't talk to anyone and transfer to another school.

I would personally go for the difficult professor. I tend to learn a lot from difficult professors. You'll have to do a lot of self-studying, but in the end it's worth it...

But it's up to you, really :smile:

DrummingAtom said:
I wouldn't talk to anyone and transfer to another school.

Why?

I was late registering so it's my fault here.

You're paying good money for your education I would think. Why settle for a slacker professor and learn nothing yet still fork over the same money?

It honestly seems like you're in a win-win situation of sorts, assuming that "knows his stuff" implies "good teacher," but give the waitlisted class a try. It's been my experience that full classes are easy to get into with a bit of patience, so add that section to your shopping cart and check it a few times a day if you think about it. I've gotten into a couple classes that way. Failing that, you might be able to grab a seat during Add/Drop week or, potentially, you could try for an override. Some departments give capacity overrides in the first week of classes.

If it makes you feel any better I started out, in early-May, at position 12 in two different class wait lists and am now number 1 and 2.

Related to Is it worth waitlisting for a popular physics course with a great professor?

What is the process for choosing a professor?

The process for choosing a professor varies depending on the institution and program. In many cases, students are assigned a professor based on their course schedule or academic advisor recommendations. In other cases, students may have the opportunity to select a professor based on their research interests or teaching style. It is important to communicate with your academic advisor or department to understand the process for choosing a professor.

Can I request a specific professor?

In some cases, students may be able to request a specific professor for a course. This can typically be done through the course registration system or by contacting the department directly. Keep in mind that not all institutions or programs allow for professor requests, and even if they do, there is no guarantee that your request will be granted.

What should I do if my preferred professor is not available?

If your preferred professor is not available, you may have the option to be placed on a waitlist for the course. This means that if a spot opens up in the course, you will be given the opportunity to enroll. It is also a good idea to have a backup plan and be open to learning from a different professor.

How does being on a waitlist affect my chances of getting into a course?

Being on a waitlist does not guarantee that you will be enrolled in the course. It is important to have an alternative course or plan in case you do not get off the waitlist. Additionally, make sure to communicate with the department or professor to understand your chances of being enrolled from the waitlist.

What should I do if I am placed on a waitlist for a course?

If you are placed on a waitlist for a course, it is important to communicate with the department or professor to understand your chances of being enrolled. You may also want to consider reaching out to the professor to express your interest in the course and to ask if there is anything you can do to increase your chances of being enrolled. Additionally, make sure to have a backup plan in case you do not get off the waitlist.