Is it worth waitlisting for a popular physics course with a great professor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Choice Professor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
QuarkCharmer
Messages
1,049
Reaction score
3
I'm signing up for a physics course that is rarely offered, and I have 2 choices for professors.

One is ideal, great teacher, class is waitlisted.

The other is notorious for being difficult, but really knows his stuff.

There are 3 people on the waitlist, and I can only register for one of the classes. Think it's worth getting waitlisted in hopes I can get in? I'm going to talk to the professor today if I can track him down and try to get in, or ask the likelihood of being allowed to stay if I just show up. What would you do?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't talk to anyone and transfer to another school.
 
I would personally go for the difficult professor. I tend to learn a lot from difficult professors. You'll have to do a lot of self-studying, but in the end it's worth it...

But it's up to you, really :smile:
 
DrummingAtom said:
I wouldn't talk to anyone and transfer to another school.

Why?

I was late registering so it's my fault here.
 
You're paying good money for your education I would think. Why settle for a slacker professor and learn nothing yet still fork over the same money?
 
It honestly seems like you're in a win-win situation of sorts, assuming that "knows his stuff" implies "good teacher," but give the waitlisted class a try. It's been my experience that full classes are easy to get into with a bit of patience, so add that section to your shopping cart and check it a few times a day if you think about it. I've gotten into a couple classes that way. Failing that, you might be able to grab a seat during Add/Drop week or, potentially, you could try for an override. Some departments give capacity overrides in the first week of classes.
 
If it makes you feel any better I started out, in early-May, at position 12 in two different class wait lists and am now number 1 and 2.