Is James Dewar Related to the Scotch Whiskey Distillers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter marcusl
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
2,982
Reaction score
708
I've always wondered if James Dewar who invented the vacuum bottle, among other things, is related to the family that distills the Scotch. Anybody know?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No relation between James and John Dewar, though they were compatriots and contemporaries.
 
You just knew that off the top of your head? What kind of machine are you?
 
A regular at the bar I visit (which happens to be the original, first Buffalo Wild Wings bar) is a descendant of the Dewar's family!
 
The blended scotch!

Working in low-temperature physics exposed me to the other dude.
 
I meant which bar. I'm thirsty.

sorry, I didn't really mean which bar. I was lying and with the reincarnation thing hanging over my head I got to stop doing that.
 
Gokul43201 said:
Working in low-temperature physics exposed me to the other dude.
Does your wife know you expose yourself to other dudes?!
 
Yeah, it tough to have to keep reminding her that this is all in the name of unraveling the mysteries of nature!
 
Gokul43201 said:
Yeah, it tough to have to keep reminding her that this is all in the name of unraveling the mysteries of nature!
How fascinating! :smile:
 
Gokul43201 said:
Working in low-temperature physics exposed me to the other dude.

I don't expose myself at liquid helium temperatures; I always wear at least some clothes when it's below 25C.
 
Rach3 said:
I don't expose myself at liquid helium temperatures; I always wear at least some clothes when it's below 25C.
Wuss! :rolleyes: