Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is light an electromagnetic radiation. If so< then isn't it casued by

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    Is light an electromagnetic radiation. If so< then isn't it casued by....

IS LIGHT AN ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION. IF SO< THEN ISN'T IT CASUED BY Antipartlce/Partcle annhilation. please im only an ametuer in particle physics and wish to deveolp more skills and understand more. Also, i want to bring up the concept of light being massless... is it true and define your variables (ie. mass). And if photons are massless, then what makes it its own 'vaccum' or why does it travel at the speed of light.If it is masless then what would happen to a photon (in the phton's point of view) if it went down a black hole and beyond the singularity. Are there such things as antiprotons. Lastly what 4 forces of the universe are there. i know space-time (gravity) in and out. i know somewhat of electromagnetism. the other two forces are something like strong force (superglue) and weak force but tell me in detail what each one is and how it works. thank you in advancwe. NOTE i am only in Sophmore and so u need define terms and make yourself understandable to me pls cause i am forming a theory of everything AND I REALLLY THINK IT's TRUE but i need more info and data to all concepts of sceince. Also refresh me on ideas of classical mechanics with basic elementary particels. ALSO ONE MORE KEY FACTOR....... ARE THESE ANTIPARTICLES FULLLY EXist IN THIS UNIVERSE or are they only a radiation, emmition from actual antiparticles and not actually antiparticles whole in this universe. OH sorry one more question.... why is electromagnetism the way it is. like i know y gravity is the way it is, but y electromagnetitsm. If it has to do with the antiparticle and particle ideas then can't elctromagnetism derive to anti particle\particle gravitation which could al go back to space time -this relates with my theory of meverything and is crucial to reconsider those two forces
    of pasitve cahrged particled as well as negative. FINE LAST THING>>>> lol>>>>>>>> isn't the rest energy of a particle always zero because when one particle is not in mation then no force is acting and therefore the unioverse is timeless so the energy would either be undefined or timelss (SORRY FOR A LOT OF QUESTIONS)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Is light an electromagnetic radiation. If so< then isn't it casued by....

There are many different sources of em radiation. Particle/antiparticle ann. is responsible for extremely high energy (gamma rays) radiation. Lower energies (x-rays, uv, visible light, etc.) result from various energy transitions, such as atomic or molecular.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Is light an electromagnetic radiation. If so< then isn't it casued by....

Since you admitted that you're only an "amateur", it would help tremendously in your process of leaning things you don't understand if you simply ask one question at a time, and understand that first, rather than firing a bunch of questions and "hypothesis" that are based on your lack of understanding of the basics.

For example, I think you yourself can figure out why your assertion that light is caused by particle-antiparticle annihilation is wrong if you simply think it through. Does the tungsten that is the filament of your incandescent light bulb actually have matter-antimatter collisions to cause it to emit light? Even for someone who does not quite understand the intricacies of classical E&M, that scenario can be seen to be rather far-fetched. A transmission antenna certainly generate EM radiation. No electrical technician will believe you if you argue with him/her that there's matter-antimatter collision going on to generate such radiation.

There are many things that one can think through to falsify many of such assertion. Part of learning is the ability to do just that, even when one has only a limited scope of knowledge. For this particular topic, I suggest, rather than trying to run right away by tackling "particle physics", that you start at a more basic level and learn a bit about classical E&M.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?