Is Logic Really Based on Mathematics? A Question for Scientists

• Thread starter Alexx.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between logic and mathematics, with one person stating that they believe logic is based on mathematics while the other states the opposite. They also mention that all sciences need to be based on mathematics, but the other person disagrees and says that mathematics is just one way of approaching logic. Both agree that mathematics makes it easier to write clear and precise statements in science.
Alexx.
Lately I've been through a matter that seemed quite ridiculous at the beginning.
I believe I'm aware of what both Logic and Mathematics are. But I've come across people defending that Logic is not based on Mathematics, and as well that all Sciences need to be based on Mathematics or either they are not Science.
Science is the language of nature, so I'm sure everything is either directly or indirectly based on Mathematics. But I'm lost as to how to explain people that Logic IS indeed based on it, more than indirectly; A Mathematical reasoning is not only using numbers to think, and to live, is it?
I might however be also wrong, but until now I do keep my arguements.
So, if somebody thinks so as well, I ask to aid me on said matter. Explaining how everything, and more specifically Logic is based on Mathematics, that is.
Beforehand, thanks everyone in the Physics Forums.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Frankly I can't make heads or tails out of this.

You state: "But I've come across people defending that Logic is not based on Mathematics, and as well that all Sciences need to be based on Mathematics or either they are not Science."

Well, I'm one of those people and I am a mathematician!

You can set up a form of "logic" that is based on mathematics, or you can set up a different basis for logic and then base mathematics on that- it's all a matter of "style".

Science doesn't have to be "based" on mathematics- although, certainly, mathematics makes it easier to write clear, precise, statements.

Of course logic is not based on mathematics. You have it backwards. Mathematics is based on logic.

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a process used by scientists to investigate and understand phenomena in the natural world. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments and collecting data, analyzing the results, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

How do scientists choose what research to conduct?

Scientists typically choose research topics based on their personal interests, current scientific knowledge and theories, and societal and environmental needs. They may also collaborate with other scientists and conduct literature reviews to identify gaps in knowledge and areas that need further study.

What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-substantiated and extensively tested explanation for a natural phenomenon. Hypotheses can be tested and either supported or rejected, while theories are widely accepted by the scientific community based on strong evidence.

What is peer review and why is it important in science?

Peer review is a process in which experts in a particular field evaluate and critique a research study before it is published. It helps to ensure that the study is of high quality and meets ethical and scientific standards. Peer review also allows for constructive feedback and helps to prevent biased or inaccurate information from being published.

How do scientists communicate their findings to the public?

Scientists communicate their findings through various means such as scientific journals, conferences, and media outlets. They may also collaborate with science communicators to help translate complex scientific concepts into more easily understandable language for the general public. Scientists also have a responsibility to accurately and clearly communicate their findings to the public to promote scientific literacy and understanding.