Is M.S. Atmospheric Science as challenging as a math major with a physics minor?

In summary, the speaker is considering a graduate program at their university and is wondering how it compares in difficulty to their current math major and physics minor. They mention that most classes have Intro. to PDE as a prerequisite and plan to take courses in Atmospheric Physics/Chemistry and Complex Analysis. They also mention another university, University of Maryland-BC, with an interesting Atmospheric Physics program that requires Methods of Mathematical Physics and Quantum Mechanics. They suggest reaching out to current students and checking the course website for more information on the difficulty of the courses.
Shackleford
Surprise, surprise! Another graduate program I'm considering at my university. I'm wondering how this would compare difficulty-wise to my math major, physics minor. It looks like most of the classes I'd take have Intro. to PDE as a prerequisite, e.g. Atmospheric Physics/Chemistry, etc. For my electives, I'd take the Intro. to PDE, Intro. to Complex Analysis so I could take the graduate-level Methods of Mathematical Physics.

University of Maryland-BC has an interesting Atmospheric Physics program that requires Methods of Mathematical Physics and Quantum Mechanics. Of course, I've already taken the undergrad QM course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guess we don't have a lot of atmospheric scientists on here.

Isn't this a bit like asking, "how long is a piece of string?" Any course in any subject is as hard as a professor wants to make it. Try and get in touch with current students and ask them how hard the course is. Check out the course web site. If it's badly organised, or has little information that's a bad sign. If all the course material is online, that's the best sign!

What is M.S. Atmospheric Science?

M.S. Atmospheric Science is a graduate degree program that focuses on the study of the Earth's atmosphere and its interactions with other systems, such as the ocean and land. It involves a combination of coursework and research in areas such as meteorology, climatology, atmospheric chemistry, and air quality.

What are the career opportunities for graduates with an M.S. in Atmospheric Science?

Graduates with an M.S. in Atmospheric Science have a variety of career opportunities, including roles in weather forecasting, air quality management, climate research, environmental consulting, and more. They may also work in government agencies, private companies, or research institutions.

What skills and knowledge are required for the M.S. Atmospheric Science program?

The M.S. Atmospheric Science program requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Students should also have a good understanding of atmospheric processes, computer modeling, and data analysis. Additionally, effective communication and critical thinking skills are important for success in this field.

What types of research are conducted in the M.S. Atmospheric Science program?

The research conducted in the M.S. Atmospheric Science program covers a wide range of topics, such as weather and climate modeling, air pollution and its impacts, remote sensing of the atmosphere, and atmospheric dynamics. Students may also have the opportunity to participate in field studies and data collection.

What are the admission requirements for the M.S. Atmospheric Science program?

The admission requirements for the M.S. Atmospheric Science program may vary among universities, but typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require specific coursework or research experience in atmospheric science or a related field.