Figuring out which (undergrad) classes to take

In summary, the person is considering whether or not to continue with their math major or switch to a physics major. They expect to spend the next two years taking courses in math and physics, and then decide whether or not to continue with their math major.
asinoof
I have spent the past few months incredibly conflicted. I just finished my freshman year of undergrad (at a 4-year American university) and I have discovered Biophysics, a field which I really want to pursue. However, I still love math and want to continue with my Applied Math major. I'm afraid that by keeping my math major, I will have to take less physics courses, and consequently look less appealing/be less appealing to graduate programs (PhD).
These are the remaining courses, for sophomore - senior year, I expect to take with the Double Physics and Math major, while preparing for graduate biophysics:

Math:
Partial Diffequ, Advanced Statistics, Biostatistics, Numerical Applied Methods (year long advanced course, has lots of Matlab), and Stochastic Processes

Physics:
Intro to Quantum, Physics of the Brain, (Advanced) Mechanics, (Advanced) Electricity and Magnetism, Physics of the Heart, Physical Measurements Lab, Biophysics Lab, Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics, and an elective I have yet to choose

and also the full years of intro Bio and intro chem, Organic Chem, and Physical Chem.

As you can probably see, by giving up the Math major I would able to take much more physics/computer science. I really really enjoy math, but I fully expect to apply to graduate programs in physics. Should I just drop the major?

Physics news on Phys.org
At most American universities, you do not have to specify your major(s) until the end of your second year. So a good idea is to find out what courses you could take that would be required or recommended no matter what your eventual decision is, and plan your sophomore year accordingly. Then you will have the entire year to consider and to meet with your academic advisor.
By the way, there is a field called mathematical biophysics that you could aim for.

Likes Geo_Zegarra2018
Maybe consider a math minor?

Likes nomadreid

1. How do I know which classes are required for my major?

Most universities have a department or program advisor who can provide you with a list of required courses for your major. You can also check your university's website or academic catalog for the list of required courses.

2. Can I take classes outside of my major?

Yes, most universities allow students to take a certain number of elective courses outside of their major. These courses can help you explore other interests or fulfill general education requirements.

3. How many classes should I take per semester?

This depends on your personal schedule and workload. Most universities recommend taking 15-18 credits per semester to graduate in four years, but you can adjust this based on your preferences and academic goals.

4. Should I take classes that interest me or focus on fulfilling requirements?

It is important to find a balance between taking classes that interest you and fulfilling requirements for your major. Consider taking a few classes outside of your comfort zone to challenge yourself, but also make sure to prioritize the classes that are necessary for your degree.

5. Can I change my class schedule after the semester has started?

It is possible to make changes to your class schedule after the semester has started, but it may depend on your university's policies and the availability of the classes you want to add or drop. It's best to speak with your academic advisor before making any changes to your schedule.