1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is math graduate school too competitive?

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    I've been considering graduate school in math.

I go to a small liberal arts school with no math reputation, but a recent graduate got into Ohio State University for statistics.

I have a lot of research experience in physics/chemistry/biology making mathematical models, and I'm just beginning to partake in topology and differential geometry research for my senior thesis with a professor. I sit around all day and study manifolds and I freaking love it.

I'm a math/chemistry major with a 4.0, junior year in school.

I will graduate with calc I-III, linear algebra, ODE, complex variables, tensor analysis, statistics, probability theory, and abstract algebra. My school doesn't offer graduate level courses, so that's out of the question. I also missed number theory.

I REALLY enjoy research in topology/geometry so I plan to apply to a math REU this summer (I've had 2 REUs in biophysics so far).

Am I too late in deciding I like math research to pursue a competitive mathematics PhD program? What do these programs usually require?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

there are lots of really strong mathematicians on faculty in us schools today that have trouble attracting enough grad students, you have an extremely good chance of entrance to a program that can help you achieve your goals. i recommend my school: Univ of Georgia.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

It's not to late, and you seem to have a solid background. Just some general advice, spend some time looking at prospective graduate schools that that have people who focus in the field you want to study. A good way to find this out is by looking at what university the authors of various books teach at. Once you acquire a list prospective schools, look at what they expect you to have prior to admission, and then work towards achieving those goals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook