1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is mathematical induction a deductive or inductive argument?

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is mathematical induction a deductive or inductive argument?
    Would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Jeremy

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Its name suggests that the process is inductive, yet I know all of mathematics depends on deductive reasoning...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2
    Short answer: Your hunch was dead on. It's deductive reasoning (inductive is not accepted as a valid type of reasoning in most disciplines).

Long answer: The first step in mathematical induction is inductive. I'll use as an example the formula for summing all consecutive integers from 1 to n:

[tex] 1 + 2 + ... + n = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

The first step in proving this is to prove that it's true for n = 1. That is:

[tex] 1 = \frac{2}{2} = 1[/tex]

To stop there would be to use inductive reasoning - i.e., since it's true for n = 1, it must be true for all n. This is obviously not necessarily correct, and that's where the deductive part comes in. The purpose of a deductive argument is to prove that, given a hypothesis, its conclusion must be valid and follow directly from the hypothesis. That is, now that we know that the above is true for n = 1, we assume that it's true for some n (that's the hypothesis), and show that it must then be true for n + 1. Now that it's in general form like that, you've completed the deduction, and shown that it's true for all n in the domain of the problem (in this case, natural numbers).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook