Is Mechanical Engineering for me?

In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of choosing a major for college and specifically focuses on the field of engineering. The speaker expresses their interest in engineering and physics, and mentions their plans to attend a two year college before transferring. They also talk about their struggles with deciding on a major and mention their average grade in physics and weak skills in math. Another speaker chimes in with their personal experience of not enjoying the design aspect of their engineering degree, but mentioning that engineering is still a great career choice for those interested in physics. The conversation ends with a reminder to thoroughly research a chosen degree before starting.
kevin17re5
I really do love the idea of engineering and being able to design and build such things. I'm currently in 12th grade about to graduate. I am going to a two year college before transferring out but I'm struggling to decide my major. I'm taking physics now and I love it, I think it's a great concept to grasp and my grade is an average B. As for math, it's definitely my weakest subject but I have been taking tutoring for the past year. I do believe I have the work ethic to study as hard as I can to be successful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you are interested in design and physics, and think that's what you really want to do, then mechanical engineering sounds like a good choice to start with.

Personally i overlooked the design aspect before starting my degree, and i really don't enjoy design at all. I knew design would be involved in the degree, and i thought i would enjoy it, but as it turned out, it wasn't what i thought it was! But that's just me.

Remember also that engineering could be defined as applied physics, hence, if you enjoy physics, you'll probably enjoy engineering, there's quite a bit of physics involved.

Last edited:
kevin17re5 said:
I really do love the idea of engineering and being able to design and build such things.

Loving the idea of something doesn't guarantee loving said something.
If you aren't already designing and building things you're behind many students that'll enter an ME degree.
Not to say you can't enter university with no experience and go on to become a successful engineer, just that graduate design engineer roles specifically, are competitive so those with a portfolio of self initiated projects & the associated experience are at a large advantage.
Of course, most engineers aren't design engineers so there are plenty of other jobs in engineering.

Likes Joppy
billy_joule said:
Loving the idea of something doesn't guarantee loving said something.

@OP@kevin this is a very important idea. I wasn't clear in my first post, but the reason i mentioned my experience of overlooking the design aspect of the degree is exactly why this idea is important. I went into the engineering degree thinking it was one thing, turns out it was another thing. It's good to do a decent amount of looking into your degree of choice before starting.

1. What is Mechanical Engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and construction of mechanical systems. This can include anything from small components like gears and bearings to large systems like engines and machines. Mechanical engineers use principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create efficient and effective solutions to real-world problems.

2. What skills do I need to be a successful Mechanical Engineer?

To be a successful mechanical engineer, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You should also have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and materials science. In addition, good communication, teamwork, and time management skills are also important in this field.

3. What are the career opportunities for Mechanical Engineers?

Mechanical engineering is a broad field with many career opportunities. Some common industries that employ mechanical engineers include automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Mechanical engineers can also work in research and development, consulting, or even start their own businesses.

4. What education and training do I need to become a Mechanical Engineer?

Most mechanical engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some may also require a master's degree or specialized training in a particular area. Internships and co-op experiences are also beneficial for gaining practical experience and making connections in the industry.

5. Is Mechanical Engineering a good career choice for me?

Whether or not mechanical engineering is a good career choice for you depends on your interests, skills, and goals. If you enjoy problem-solving, have a strong foundation in math and science, and are interested in designing and building mechanical systems, then mechanical engineering may be a good fit for you. It is also a constantly evolving field with many opportunities for growth and advancement.