Is My Approach Correct for SN1 Reactions of Cyclic Ethers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter baldbrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cyclic Reactions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
baldbrain
Messages
236
Reaction score
21
20180608_212700.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution


Firstly, since -Br is the better leaving group among the three, it's either (a) or (b). Further, since -Br is present at α position in (b), which also has an acidic α hydrogen to the same carbon, it would react better with a weak nucleophile (favouring SN1) than in (a). So, the answer's (b). But is my line of action correct?
 
Attachments
  • 20180608_212700.jpg
    20180608_212700.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,040
Physics news on Phys.org
baldbrain said:
But is my line of action correct?
Not quite. If I had to guess, this question is really asking about carbocation stability. Your leaving group analysis is fine. So out of a and b, which carbocation is more stable?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: baldbrain, Ygggdrasil and jim mcnamara
TeethWhitener said:
Not quite. If I had to guess, this question is really asking about carbocation stability. Your leaving group analysis is fine. So out of a and b, which carbocation is more stable?
Well, I can't really decide.
Is molecule (a) more stable because of separation of charges, or, is (b) more stable due to the highly polar C-O bond?
 
Why is a tertiary carbocation more stable than a primary one? (ignoring steric considerations)
 
TeethWhitener said:
Which is?
Interaction of σ electrons in an adjacent empty π orbital.
 
baldbrain said:
Interaction of σ electrons in an adjacent empty π orbital.
Oh, so you mean the σ electrrons of the oxygen would interact with the π orbital of the carbocation, hence leading to more stability?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TeethWhitener
baldbrain said:
Oh, so you mean the σ electrrons of the oxygen would interact with the π orbital of the carbocation?
Yes.
 
@TeethWhitener you didn't reply to my last question on 'How can any of these give the same SN1 & SN2 product'. I'd asked your advice on something
 
All my concepts are quite clear, but I still **** up during exams (probably due to haste). I also solve a lot of problems, and I can get them quicker when there's no time limit. That ticking clock makes me feel like a guillotine will behead me any moment.
Sometimes, even the opposite happens. I get the good problems, and **** up the easy ones. Can you give me some advice regarding this?
 
I don't know if I’m the best one to give advice. Practice is the most important thing. People make mistakes occasionally. If you really understand a concept, then the number of mistakes will drop over time and become a kind of random noise. If you make an undue number of mistakes with particular concepts, it means you don’t quite understand it and you should seek outside help.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara
TeethWhitener said:
I don't know if I’m the best one to give advice. Practice is the most important thing. People make mistakes occasionally. If you really understand a concept, then the number of mistakes will drop over time and become a kind of random noise. If you make an undue number of mistakes with particular concepts, it means you don’t quite understand it and you should seek outside help.
All Right. Thank you again