Ochem: H2O & HBr Reactions 2nd Semester Organic Chemistry

• Thread starter Acuben
  • Start date
In summary, studying H2O and HBr reactions in 2nd semester Organic Chemistry is crucial for understanding organic synthesis in various industries. The general mechanism for their reaction involves protonation of H2O followed by nucleophilic attack and the formation of an intermediate carbocation. Examples of reactions involving H2O and HBr include hydration of alkenes, hydrolysis of esters, and addition to alkenes. Factors such as temperature, concentration, and catalysts can influence the rate of these reactions. Working with H2O and HBr in the laboratory can be hazardous due to their corrosiveness and ability to release toxic fumes, so proper precautions must be taken.
Acuben

Homework Statement

2nd semester Organic Chemistry
not a HW problem, I just wanted to get this right...

(note: by primary/secondary/tertiary I mean carbon atom bonded to 1,2,3 carbons respectively
if they are actually called 1st degree/2nd degree or anything else, please correct me)
When I add H20 to primary Carbon. 1-bromobutane will it react?
How about with 2-bromobutane (2ndary carbon)
how about with t-butyl bromine (tertiary carbon)

Also...
When I add HBr to 1-butanol, 2-butanol, and t-butylol
will they react? or not react?

Homework Equations

mostly SN1, SN2, E1, E2 reactions, or NR (no reaction

The Attempt at a Solution

H2O + 1-bromobutane > NR

H2O is a weak nucleophile and weak base, and we have primary carbon so NR

H2O + 2-bromobutane > 2-butanol + (E) 2-butene and other minor butene

H2O is a weak nucleophile and weak base, and we have secondary carbon so SN1+E1 reaction

H2O + t-butyl bromine > t-butanol

Classical SN1+E1 reaction, Br will leave and deprotinate H+ , leaving OH- which then attachs to t-butoxide

HBr + 1-butanol > 1-bromobutane

HBr is a strong acid, so we have Br(-1) ion, which attacks 1-butanol and forces OH group to leave
going through SN2 reaction

HBr + 2-butanol > 2-bromobutane + (E) 2-butene and other minor butene

answer 1
HBr is a strong acid, so we have Br(-1) ion, which attacks 2-butanol and goes through
SN2 reaction.

or... (tell me which one is right ^^)

answer 2
HBr is a strong acid, so H+ will be added to butanol so OH group will be OH2 (+1 charge)
instead make it very good leaving group. Now Br- will attack (errr SN2?) and OH2+ will leave

HBr + t-butanol > 1-methyl-2-propene

tertiary carbon so no SN2, but E2 occurs so it forms alkene

I really hate using HBr and H2O in these cases in synthesis due to their uncertainty in reaction,
nevertheless I thought I should know these in case I can't use other reagents.

Am I right? Instead of simple right or wrong, would you also add a note to each one how
strong the reaction would be?
like number 1 and 4 (2and5, and 3 and 6) can't both be right because they are opposite reaction.

as for number 5, I got the wrong in test during synthesis, but I can't understand why because I saw this reaction in my notes as well.
or could it because E2 is major in this reaction (and that notes were only explaining SN2 because E2 wasn't being covered at that time)

Physics news on Phys.org
Handy reference table:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleophilic_substitution
Most O-chem books will have something like this table. As for the reactions:
1. This is fine. Water won't react (at least in the short term).
2. I can see where you would get this from, but in reality 2-bromobutane isn't really reactive with water. If I had to say what a possible reaction would be, SN1 would be it.
3. This is fine too. In reality, in neutral water, Br- is not basic. The OH- will come from autoionization of water.
4. HBr protonates the OH group, giving an H2O+ group, which is an excellent leaving group. Then another HBr attacks the backside in an SN2 and the extra proton on the HBr is grabbed by a water molecule. One important feature here is that if you're in a strongly acidic environment (like with HBr), you aren't really ever going to see formal negative charges show up in reaction mechanisms, only positive ones. And vice versa in a strongly basic environment. If, for example, your first 3 reactions involved putting butyl bromide into NaOH, you wouldn't have reaction mechanisms with formal positive charges flying around.
5. As mentioned before, since you're in a strongly acidic environment, the HBr will protonate the OH group. From here, secondary alkyl halides tend to see competition between SN1 and SN2 mechanisms. The elimination mechanisms are more important in basic media, but here E1 might compete to some extent (especially since the product is a gas in this case: it is at least strongly entropically favored). (Sometimes eliminations are also highly enthalpically favored, e.g., sulfuric acid + ethanol at high temperatures will give the dehydration product ethylene)
6. Tertiary carbons only ever react through SN1 mechanisms. So the SN2/E2 question is irrelevant. You will probably see competition between SN1 and E1 reactions in this case, if I had to guess.

What is the purpose of studying H2O and HBr reactions in 2nd semester Organic Chemistry?

The study of H2O and HBr reactions in 2nd semester Organic Chemistry is essential for understanding the reactions and mechanisms involved in organic synthesis. These reactions are commonly used in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, plastics, and food production.

What is the general mechanism for the reaction between H2O and HBr?

The general mechanism for the reaction between H2O and HBr involves the protonation of the H2O molecule by the acid, forming H3O+ and Br-. This is followed by a nucleophilic attack of the H3O+ on the carbon atom, resulting in the formation of an intermediate carbocation. The Br- then acts as a nucleophile, attacking the carbocation and forming the final product.

What are some examples of reactions involving H2O and HBr?

Some examples of reactions involving H2O and HBr include hydration of alkenes to form alcohols, hydrolysis of esters to form carboxylic acids, and addition of HBr to alkenes to form alkyl halides. These reactions are commonly used in the synthesis of various organic compounds.

What factors influence the rate of H2O and HBr reactions?

The rate of H2O and HBr reactions can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts. Higher temperatures and concentrations generally result in faster reaction rates, while the presence of a catalyst can increase the rate of the reaction by providing an alternative pathway with lower activation energy.

What are the potential hazards associated with working with H2O and HBr in the laboratory?

H2O and HBr are both corrosive and can cause severe burns upon contact with skin. They can also release toxic fumes when heated, so proper ventilation is necessary when working with these substances. It is important to wear appropriate protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling these chemicals.