Is My Microwave Ruined After Overheating for Ten Minutes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Newai
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Microwave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
Newai
Messages
33
Reaction score
1
I thought I set the kitchen timer on it for a pizza in my oven, but turns out I had actually turned on the microwave, cooking nothing. It's really hot. I think I might have to throw it in the snow. Ran for ten minutes. Now it won't turn on at all. And it smells bad.

Anything I should be worried about here?

This is almost as bad as when I was chipping the ice out of my fridge.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Newai said:
I thought I set the kitchen timer on it for a pizza in my oven, but turns out I had actually turned on the microwave, cooking nothing. It's really hot. I think I might have to throw it in the snow. Ran for ten minutes. Now it won't turn on at all. And it smells bad.

Anything I should be worried about here?

This is almost as bad as when I was chipping the ice out of my fridge.
Rut Ro.
 
Strange. That's what my microwave sounded like just before it went all dark.
 
Newai said:
OH, the pizza!

(Rut ro)2
 
Evo said:
I'll bet it looks like coral.

:smile::smile::smile:
 
Phew. Pizza lived. It was close, but it's okay.

Now I'm going to kill it!
 
Newai said:
Phew. Pizza lived. It was close, but it's okay.




Now I'm going to kill it!
Was your microwave a countertop model?
 
Yes. I plugged it in a few minutes ago and it turned on. So it might be alright. I'm going to leave it unplugged for a day to cool down.
 
Newai said:
Yes. I plugged it in a few minutes ago and it turned on. So it might be alright. I'm going to leave it unplugged for a day to cool down.
Oh good! I hope it will be ok.
 
Thanks for your concern, everyone. Maybe I'll post regular updates in a blog here. Big news, big news.
 
russ_watters said:
Sounds to me like you haven't proven anything useful. I think you need to rerun the test at 20 minutes...
:smile:

I'll have to wait until I add a control, but there might be bias.
 
Newai said:
:smile:

I'll have to wait until I add a control, but there might be bias.

http://www.theonion.com/video/study-multiple-stab-wounds-may-be-harmful-to-monke,14150/
 
Newai said:
Yes. I plugged it in a few minutes ago and it turned on. So it might be alright. I'm going to leave it unplugged for a day to cool down.

That usually works when I drown my microwave. Another thing my friend taught me is that changing the fuse in a microwave is pretty easy (just slip off the casing) and they're dirt cheap.