Is My Nickel Actually Made of Gold?

  • Thread starter Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nickel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Messages
23,902
Reaction score
11,357
So, WTH is going on here? I received this otherwise ordinary-seeming nickel as change for my lunch today. It appears to be made of gold (plated?). I didn't make the scratches on it; my guess would be that some other curious individual was as confused as I am and decided to see if it was just plated. To the naked-eye, it would appear not, but in the close-up photo I am seeing a bit of "silver" coloring, implying that it is. I'm tempted to cut it open to find out for sure. Downside being that then I can't use it to buy 0.923 ounces of soda at work...

Opinions?

attachment.php?attachmentid=72648&d=1409707469.jpg
 
Attachments
  • P1080322.JPG
    P1080322.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,148
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Measure its weight against a normal nickle.
 
lisab said:
Measure its weight against a normal nickle.

WAD - What would Archie do?
(Except running around naked)
 
Enigman said:
...
(Except running around naked)
What is that supposed to mean ?
 
What is that supposed to mean ?
I guess he means Archie Meedies. You know, that guy whose best buddy was Harry Stottle.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ben Niehoff said:
They just had "gold clad" buffalo nickels on sale last night for $9.99. Limit 5 per customer. Each had 14 mg of gold "cladding".

edit: the caveat was that these were not actually US currency. Just copies of buffalo nickels.
 
just don't accept any "wooden nickels" :wink:

Dave
 
Do a quick check.
Peel back the foil and there should be some milk chocolate inside.